Pony Saddles - How much £££

millimoo

Visit site
I'm not starting this thread to sell...

I desperately need some advise regards the price of pony saddles.
I have 2 advertised locally with 3 riding clubs - don't want the hassle of posting, and them not fitting / being returned etc.

However I would love some advise about prices???

1. 13" English half panel show saddle - the older type, and has a saddle plate with its maker etc. 7-8 inches D ring to D ring

2. 14" XW Working Hunter saddle, Made in Walsall, 4 girth straps (1 is a balance strap). Lovely condition. Beautifully made.

I was thinking £115 for #1 and £225 for number 2

Is that realistic?

Littlelegs

Visit site
Couldn't say without seeing them. But as I have been looking at 14" saddles recently if the second is English leather it sounds a bargain. I'd contact a saddler, firstly they'll give you a more exact value (although may be slightly lower to what they'd sell them for) & secondly they may have clients that they are on the look out for similar for.

cronkmooar

Visit site
I have just paid £950 for a 14" worker saddle new. Yes £950 for a saddle I couldn't fit one cheek in.

I thought it would be easy to just phone up the saddler and get him to fit one of his many second hand saddles to the pony.

How wrong I was

Personally I would take them to a reputable saddler, get them checked and get them to sell them for you - if they are in decent condition your prices are too low

13" and 14" saddles second hand in decent condition are like hens teeth

millimoo

Visit site
Oh crikey - I know English 13" & 14" saddles are nigh on impossible to find second hand.
I guess I was basing them on what I paid myself.
However I've owned the show saddle for over 10 years, and although an old half panel saddle, its still a nice little show saddle for lead rein classes etc.
As for the 14", i did wonder about that, as it's stamped with Walsall, XW 14 & numbered, and carries the saddlers pin either side of the pommel - it's in lovely condition (apart from a couple of light marks on one flap that covers the stirrup bar).
The girth straps are stitched onto the black Webbing in a similar way to a lot of Dressage saddles, and its got a lovely wide gulley, and wide, load bearing padding at the back of the saddle.

Clearly I have to do some urgent research.