Pony stood on daughters foot

Lacuna

Visit site
Took mini one (7yo) down to the yard today for a treat ride.

Allowed her to walk pony up to the gate but then the second I took my eyes off them to unbolt it he trod on the side of her foot trying to get his head down.

Ride didnt happen as it was getting late and he foot was painful. Got her home and the bruising is minimal and doesn't seem to be swelling. She can stand and walk a bit on it but we'll see how it is in the morning

Feel terribly guilty about this happening as she's my only one and her dad is on my case about letting it happen. He is remembering the PITA which was her broken leg last winter (scooter related injury). But the more horsy part of me keeps thinking this is what happens with ponies and shell learn not to let it happen again.

Heads in a bit of crap place at the mo. Apologies for long post

Upthecreek

Visit site
It’s hard, but try not to beat yourself up about it. These things happen. You can’t watch them every second and it doesn’t sound serious. Yes you can wrap kids in cotton wool and never let them do anything independently, but where is the fun in that and how do they learn anything?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
we all have to learn that horses feet will trample us if we are not careful so she has learned her lesson very early and should be much more aware in future, i learned the lesson but sometimes the bloomin horses get clever when you are not giving them your whole attention. very painful///

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Not your fault at all, like people say accidents happen. Felt bad enough when H stood on non horsey OH'S foot, I'd asked him to hold him just while I locked the gate (coded padlock) before going for a hack as could see him (H) being a prat about the noise of the chain, he had strict instruction do not let go! Typically a rattly van came past I could half see what was about to happen but powerless to prevent it. What does H do- runs sideways straight onto his foot. He didn't let go though!! Every other time he would have been fine but typically it had to be when the rattly van went by I still felt bad though.
If her foot is just bruised and as long as she isn't allergic or anything when H jumped backwards onto my foot then stamped down when I scared him further swearing at the pain I found arnica spray (think boots do it) really helped worth checking it's ok for kids but definitely helped

Like others said explain to her that's why its always important to wear safety gear when handling them

Lacuna

Visit site
Thanks all. I suppose we can't help feeling responsible even for accidents.

Luckily she was in her wellies at the time which helped to protect her a bit. Two outer toes looking ike they're developing a good bruise but we can wiggle them and it's only a 'bit hurtie' tonight.

I think she'll be a bit more careful next time!

honetpot

Visit site
My daughter broke the same arm twice consecutive summers. She is accident prone so my husband was used to her coming in with cut lips, grazed knees and the odd head wound, and that was done in the house walking in to doors. She will learn and you will both get used to it.

Green Bean

Visit site
My daughter (not so young 17) has had her foot ‘crushed’ multiple times, once leaving a small scar. The reaction to it becomes less each time with a little less cussing 🤣

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I still remember on numerous occasions getting into the car on the way home from riding school with a throbbing foot inside my boot as a kid lol, still happens to me now! These things happen.

Bs_mum

Visit site
Even adults get stood on at times, just last week my warmblood stood on my foot as I turned him out. Don’t beat yourself up.

Clodagh

Visit site
Wellies are hopeless and offer no support at all. My smalls (back in the day) always wore leather joddy boots around the ponies, even if they were in shorts.