Pony that hates sides being touched??

Ellietotz

Visit site
Long story short!
12 year old pony, homebred, professionally backed at 4, could hack alone, bombproof, jumped anything. In a horsebox crash at 9, no injury has been thoroughly checked, X-rays etc and all clear, wasn't tacked up in the horsebox either. What happened after that I'm not sure as she's not mine and I didn't know her then.
All I know is the owner doesn't have the confidence to ride her as I think she got on her a few weeks after the accident to hack out and she went mad at a car on the road and she nearly came off and was very dangerous. Since then, she has been sent to a professional to retrain her but got sent back as was too dangerous and hasn't done anything since. Had her back rechecked and is fine.
I have ridden her twice in a school for 10 minutes each time but ended up having to get off as she just kept trying to get me off. She would try to attack you after tacking her up or if you got on her and dismounted she would try biting and kicking. She spun round and bucked at the owner after helping me get on and attempting to bite me after lunging her. She's lovely in hand if in the field etc but tries to kill most other horses she has been put with before apart from a couple she's nice to. But she hates her stomach being brushed, along the side etc. I stood next to her and just put my hand on her shoulder and she kicked out the side with her ears back and nostrils flaring. When brushing her shoulder or side gently she just keeps throwing her head round to bite. I just don't understand what is going on in her mind. Can she be helped? Can she be put back to how she used to be?
I really appreciate all advice!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Has she been checked for ulcers?
^ 5 this or maybe do a blood test as when they have liver issues they do not like being touched. Sounds like this poor mare is trying to tell you something is up and I personally would not ride her till you find out what is wrong. When a horse is in this much pain or discomfort the rider can often get seriously injured, if the cause is not found or not known.

be positive

Visit site
Has she been checked for ulcers?

Or ovaries, some tumours can make them very aggressive and stallion like.

She sounds seriously distressed and in pain, even if she was thoroughly checked after the accident it may be that something has been missed that time has not healed, it may just be that she was so traumatised that she has lost trust in people, some are very difficult to understand and professional help may be the best way forward, not the one that sent her back but someone with a more holistic approach although it would cost a fair amount of money if she requires a lot of work, she may be happiest left in retirement living in a field with a companion she is comfortable with.

vanrim

Visit site
Ulcers can make a horse very aggressive. I would be asking the vet to scope and at least rule it in or out.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I was going to suggest ovaries like be positive said. There was a thread a few years ago where similar issues turned out to be ovary related. There is always the possibility that instead of a tumour or cysts it could be torsion from when she fell in the box - and if it is it would be agony :(

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would do all the checks, as above, full work up at hospital looking at ulcers, ovaries, back, and whatever else the vet thought necessary, but TBH, if I could not find a cause I would PTS.

She does not sound as if she would even be happy in retirement if she is aggressive to other horses, she does not sound happy at all.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Superstar pony turned into bitch from hell immediately after accident.

No injury found.

Behaviour, though, screams injury was there and is still there. Was the pony given a full body scintigraph?

If not, I think she either should be, or the poor creature should be put out of her misery, sorry.

Shay

Visit site
Sadly agree. Her behaviour is screaming pain - either physical pain, which is more likely - or mental pain in that she has lost all trust and respect for humans. Even to get a diagnosis is probably going to be very expensive. If the owner is deeply fond then perhaps try at least for the easy ones - ulcers, liver and ovaries. It that comes back negative them you could go for the scintigraph - but most insurance won't cover a procedure that expensive. And then if you can get a diagnosis the treatment has to be paid for. I would also be wondering brain tumour myself - or residual brain injury from the crash. But that is all but impossible to identify other than post mortem.

But all that is likely to be very expensive with no gaurentee of a good outcome. The kindest thing may well be to PTS. Certainly don't continue to even try to ride her.