Pony wanted - where to look?

Kezza

Visit site
My friend is after a new pony, 13.2hh to 14.2hh, she has a budget of around £3500 excluding tack and rugs. She needs something willing and good natured as she is a bit of a softie, bless... She is not a novice rider but also does not want to be tanked around or scared to death either.

She's been looking now for a few months without success! Ideally she wants something a child has grown out of. She's a 5ft 1, 8 stone adult.

Trouble is ... she really, really, really wants a palomino or a chestnut with flaxen mane and tail, this seems to be stopping her finding her perfect gee gee.

Does anyone know of anything like this for sale? She is in Kent but is willing to travel up to 5 hours or so as she went to see one in yorkshire not long ago.

Thanks

Tufty

Visit site
I would say she would be better with a little horse say 15 hands upwards , she should easily find something for that money pm me if you want as I have seen a few

Kezza

Visit site
no it must be 14.2hh max as she's only tiny and feels most comfortable on something between 13.2 and 14.2. She's tried 15hh and feels it's too big for her.

Farm Kat

Visit site
How about trying to breed websites?

New Forest Pony

It's the only one I know, they are up to weight. I own a 13.1, and I'm 5'3 ish and 8 1/2 stone.

*thinks* I do know of one that may still be for sale. I will PM you, but it is out this way.

FAYEFUDGE

Visit site
what about a haflinger pony. From what I know they seem to be good natured and are palomino with flaxen mane and tail. I was looking into buying one myself and came across dealers called BMB Sports horses that import them. Tel 01333 351290. Dont know much about their company but might be worth a try.

filly190

Visit site
I would look on ponyclub.uk website, they have lots of good ponies advertised. You can also ring the local d.c up and ask about the pony, they are happy for you to do this.

They have animals of all ages, sizes and abilities and I feel its a very good starting point when looking for a nice animal

Kelly1982

Visit site
There are loads on horsemart, i just did a quick search.

I put in 13.2hh to 14.2hh and i put in max price of £3,500.

I then went to breed and selected palomino and haflinger. There were 11 palomino's and 22 haflingers.

One palomino sounded really nice. 14.2hh 6yo mare, will look after a novice or can step it up a gear for the more advanced rider and it stabled in Surrey so not a million miles away either. Wasn't very chunky either and was quite a nice weight.

Lynz25

Visit site
What sort of activities is she looking to do. We are thinking of selling our 14hh new forest gelding who is chestnut and has a flaxen mane and tail

Kezza

Visit site
Something to love and enjoy and look after, bless she has stable waiting all empty!

Local level SJ (about 2ft 3ish) and maybe a little Cross country. Some ridden classes and maybe in hand.

Must be schooled and have 3 good paces, especially an uphill and balanced canter.

She's tried 2 haflingers, both were too ploddy.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Best bet is to print off some small wanted cards and put them in the local tack shops, yards and give them to the local instructors. That way she will, find one locally where it's history is known.

Kezza

Visit site
she's done that and had some bizarre calls to say the least so will probably knock that on the head!!!
smile.gif

Lynz25

Visit site
Mine is 12 years old but more like an 8yr old. We got him 3.5 yrs ago for my mum as her pony died following a choke. The new forest didn't even know the aids to trot when we got him so have done lots of work with him. He hacks alone and in company, good to shoe, box and clip (have had to twitch him once for the latter as he was trying to eat the clippers as I was doing his face). I compete him normally in 2ft3 - 2ft 9 classes predominantly SJ. He has been around RAF Halton sponsored ride twice and loved it. Also did a jump cross training day where he was in the 2ft3 section but it got boring as the peolple were very novice so they put us in the 2ft 9. We ended up jumping 3ft - 3ft 3 on all of them and he really loved it. Jumped in a chase me charlie twice and jumped 3ft10 with no effort. He can at times have a stubbon moment as he does not want to jump and will use fillers as excuses althoough he gets much better when he goes out often. In the next couple of weeks I'm hoping to take him to his first dressage test. He does need a competent rider as he is not a novice in the fact that if he knows he can get away with anything he will do.

Overally he is a lovable caracter who thrives on attention -especially being the one in the centre of it.

Vicki1986

Visit site
She's found one now hasnt she Kezza?? did she buy princess in the end? she showed me her details she looked stunning and so perfect! and with a name like princess, well, we all coo'ed for ages in the pub haha. did the vetting go ok??

Chunky_Monkey

Visit site
Well.....I have just put my lovely pony onto Horsemart (search for "14.2" and he's called Maverick). I'm no good at adding links.......
blush.gif

He's chestnut, not flaxen mane/tail, but stunning!

Might be suitable, you never know. He's not what i would call a novice ride, but he's not a loon and is a great hack.