pony weight?

darris

Visit site
hello
new member looking to buy a connemara pony for grand daughter.
can anyone advise the weight (approx) of a 15.2hh +- animal.
thanks

Widgeon

Visit site
The weight of the pony itself, or the weight of rider + tack that it would carry? I'm assuming the former and you're trying to do something like work out whether it will go in your trailer?

Hopefully there will be some Connemara owners along soon to answer you, but in case that doesn't happen, a relatively lightly built small horse of about 15.2hh is probably going to weigh in the region of 400-550kg. There is an awful lot of variation though, something chunky is going to weigh more than a lightly built Thoroughbred-y type of Connemara.

That said, I believe that Connemaras shouldn't technically go above 14.2hh, in which case you'd probably be looking at more like 360-500kg.

Anyone more clued up than me want to advise?

Shay

Visit site
I have a 15.2 Connemara - they do go over height even with impeccable breading! He weighs 520Kgs. He's a good very classic pure bred - lovely lines, just had one growth spurt too many! Technically of course Connies shouldn't be over 14.2 and can't be shown in breed specific classes if they go over height. Connie X are quite common - its a nice breed.

Widgeon

Visit site
I have a 15.2 Connemara - they do go over height even with impeccable breading! He weighs 520Kgs. He's a good very classic pure bred - lovely lines, just had one growth spurt too many! Technically of course Connies shouldn't be over 14.2 and can't be shown in breed specific classes if they go over height. Connie X are quite common - its a nice breed.

Can I ask where you got him? It's just curiosity - the bigger natives are very much my area of interest but they don't come up for sale much - I share a Highland at the moment but when I come to buy my own I've concluded that I'm probably best looking for reputable breeders rather than waiting for the needle in a haystack advert. There are always posts on here about nightmare experiences (!) buying Connies from Ireland so I'd be interested to hear how you found yours.

Shay

Visit site
Originally he's from Cloonmung - sire Linsfort Barney, out of Kingsdown Star. Apparently he was bought unseen as showing prospect, imported at 3 and then immediately rejected as over height. (The importer registered him as BS 148cm - we had 148s for years - even at 3 he wasn't that!) I bought him at 4 standing I think about 151cm. He's now 5 and standing 155cm. He is an absolutely beautiful stamp of a Connie - totally classic. And actaully in proportion. But overheight. We didn't want him to show anyway so absolutely no loss and he has the sweetest temperament - the Stud did a good job with his upbringing.