Pony with cushings?

alannah

Visit site
My loan pony suffers from cushings. He is a 12hh, 19/20 year old, Welsh Section A gelding. Although is health, can anyone offer any advice or recommend anything that is good for ponies who suffer from this? Thank you!! :)

Cocorules

Visit site
Prascend tablets from the vet, good diet low sugar and high fibre and keep a close eye on weight I.e. they can go under and over very quickly.

If you rug you may find he is hotter generally so you may need to rug less than before.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I'm pretty sure loan pony is in early stages. Owner doesn't want to get tested yet. Meanwhile I'm being very careful with diet. I am also using Agnus Castus and I do think it's making a difference. She's really energetic, and the "grass belly" look seems to have reduced somewhat.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Why on earth doesn't the owner want to test, OldNag?

Alannah didn't the owner tell you anything either? If I was sending out a pony on loan with an issue I would give them as much knowledge and advice as possible to help make sure they knew how to keep it healthy.

alannah

Visit site
Why on earth doesn't the owner want to test, OldNag?

Alannah didn't the owner tell you anything either? If I was sending out a pony on loan with an issue I would give them as much knowledge and advice as possible to help make sure they knew how to keep it healthy.

I do know about it. I just wanted to know if people could suggest anything that has helped their ponies, as it's always nice to get a second opinion. :)

unbalanced

Visit site
I kept the shoes off mine so I would see earlier if she had eaten too much sugar. I soaked all her hay. I was extremely careful with her diet - just because something is laminitis trust approved doesn't mean it's safe to feed. Always check the ingredients. It's a good idea to do the royal dick nutrition course if you can.
I kept mine in regular work to help with her arthritis and her metabolism.
The ECIR website is a mine of information.