Poo pick8ng when there dung beetles?

Carrottom

Visit site
Do you continue to poo pick if you find dung beetles in the droppings or leave them to do their job?

Polos Mum

Visit site
I do leave a tennis ball size amount over the big holes to give them a bit of protection. If I see the big ones then i'll pick them out of the barrow - they do a lovely job of aerating the soil and fertilising.
I also keep horses in after worming as wormers in poo can kill them sadly.

We seem to have 2 types small ones - woodlouse sized and some massive (see pic of hole below) they are bright iridescent blue underneath

Dung beetle hole small.jpg

Carrottom

Visit site
Thanks all. I was looking for an excuse to stop poo picking, guess I had better keep at it and just leave some if I see the fellas. ?

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I put them on the heavenly big dung pile of their dreams. It doesn't seem to affect their numbers in the field.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Unless your land is over grazed poo-picking does more harm than good, as it removes the nitrogen which should be going back into the soil, as well as disturbing the minibeasts/local fauna.

Carrottom

Visit site
The land isn't over grazed (about 10 acres for 3 horses) it is just that access is tricky for tractors and some areas tend to be too wet to harrow.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I find my fields are grazed very unevenly if I don't do any collection while they are in there. I spread my muck heap on the fields spring and autumn to put goodness back in and then rest for 4-5 months.
My husband does query the point of hours digging poo out to then pay someone to spread it back over again - but I think it suits my land.

Mine was a livery yard so on 8 acres we have 11 tiny fields and no practical way of removing all the fencing so they rotate often.