Poo picking revelation...my world is transformed.

webble

Visit site
I must be the biggest numpty in the world as I find it much harder to poo pick with a shavings fork! Doesn't pick up all the poo, it crumbles leaving lots of little bits behind which is then a nightmare to then pick up with the shavings fork. And when you find a fresh, beast of a poo, it doesn't fit in the shavings fork and is far too heavy to lift into the wheelbarrow!

Poop scoop for my I'm afraid!

Nope you aren't I find this too

mischamoo

Visit site
I use a speed skip to poo pick. Nice big bucket and log handle so you don't have to crouch over and a nice sturdy rake to rake it in to the bucket with. Much better than the Stubbs type poo pickers.

mischamoo

Visit site
I use a speed skip to poo pick. Nice big bucket and long handle so you don't have to crouch over and a nice sturdy rake to rake it in to the bucket with. Much better than the Stubbs type poo pickers.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Sooooo, who here uses a little pooper scooper and mini rake to poo pick their field? I too was just like you and spent time diligently hunched over, raking up my horse's offerings..

NO more!

Today I watched a girl at my new yard clearing her poop (her horse's poop) with a shavings fork. 'I'll give that a go', I thought.

Man alive, what a revelation! Took me half the time. I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to try it before now. Who kept that ****** secret!? Give it a go!

Tried it but broke prongs off a fork as our grass in summer is always long so took longer and risk of prong breaks as well as a lot of tugging with the arms to pull fork up through grass.

Poop rack and bucket for me, I use the long handled one we have tractor and trailer one drives two poo pick, ragi fork on the back so we dee ragwort as we see them. The horses (6) are out overnight and it takes around 1/2-45 mins to do the fields in a swooping action zig zag across field. Grass is still long so you have to walk up and down in rows. Boy does it feel good knowing you have done it and checked for rubbish/ ragwort.

Last edited:

Merrymoles

Visit site
I find rubber gloves and scoop quickest but it does make a mess of barrow handles so usually use scoop and rake - scoop between feet and both hands to rake in. Field mate uses shavings fork because she is v tall but it does leave lots of bits and useless if grass long.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Mind you, have adapted my own way with poo-bucket & scraper after having ankle injury etc:
Poo bucket on the floor right against pile, lean on handle to anchor, wield scraper side of picker using both hands on the handle & scrape poo into bucket - can get at least 3 if not 4 mini-pony piles in :cool3: tip into barrow. (never use the rake side, except on rare occasions to level floor of one of the shelters if passing :)

Is that not how you're supposed to do it? ;)

I do it that way, just easier when you have longer grass. Not really sure what the forky bits are for really, apart from scratching the pony. I have tried the shavings fork, but just ended up making it go flying, but a fair few more dextrous people do it that way on the yard :D

pixie

Visit site
I use a sugar beet fork. Its pretty much a cross between a regular fork and a shavings fork, so it works really well in long, tough grass.

ms9p1_RWe9eycZ6YDDia4bw.jpg

3OldPonies

Visit site
Another vote for rubber gloves and wheelbarrow. So simple, esp if like I do you keep a barrow just reserved for poo patrol so don't have to worry about mucky handles. I have another barrow for all the other stuff - my boys live out so don't need to worry about one for mucking out. Which is just as well, my Dad's nicked the wheel from my plastic mucking out barrow to use on his allotment! Leaving me with just the two - the one for poop scooping and the one for water carrier and feed bag moving.

Actually - do you think three barrows is a bit extravagant? I've also got a reserve poop barrow for if we are flooded out (the normal one is too big for the car) and a broken two wheeled barrow, that I'm always wanting to get repaired.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Garden rake, two boards, and a wheel barrow.

Rake up into a pile, then use two boards about 15 inches long x 5 inches wide to pick the heap up and plonk it into the wheel barrow.

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
I've always used rubber gloves, but saw this thread and thought I'd give the shavings fork a try. Wow! So much easier! I did 3 barrows this morning which would usually wear me right out, but with the fork I just kept on going and felt ok afterwards. We have quite long grass and the fork handled it fine :)

Visit site
Also, I find that in the summer if I leave the poo piles for a day they dry out and are much lighter and you can get a lot more on the barrow

Mongoose11

Visit site
I've always used rubber gloves, but saw this thread and thought I'd give the shavings fork a try. Wow! So much easier! I did 3 barrows this morning which would usually wear me right out, but with the fork I just kept on going and felt ok afterwards. We have quite long grass and the fork handled it fine :)

Glad to have been of service :) I'm actually looking forward to poo picking tomorrow.

I should have said, I am talking about a metal shavings fork guys, not too flimsy against the grass!