Poor Little Pony....RANT!

JAK

Visit site
Fellow livery is 'selling' the Shetland (that she was given!), as small child has got fed up of 'riding' him, or rather, fed up of being being bucked off, tootsies trampled on, pulled over etc. by him!
Now this is not all pony's fault (easy to say 'Well, he is a Shetland - what do you expect!'), as their idea of 'lungeing' him is to chase him round & round with a lunge whip, cracking it loudly & shouting at him & their idea of 'riding' him, to drag him out of the field every couple of weeks & then spend about 2 hours alternating between 'lungeing' him, dragging him up & down the school & then up & down the road until he is thoroughly p*ssed off & finally says so in the only way he can!

Pony is laminitic, rather thin & scruffy looking & I think his feet are quite sore pretty much all of the time, as they are in a very poor state for a Shetland & his teeth are disgraceful!
He was 'looked at' back in June, when SWUO had hers done (also appalling!) & whilst I coughed up 130 quid & had hers sorted within days, his have just been left! (Dentist couldn't do them there & then, he would have to be sedated!)
Owner doesn't want to pay out to have them done if she's selling him & is going to leave them for his new owner to deal with! (Has told potential owner his teeth need doing but I doubt she's told her just how bad they are
mad.gif

Makes me really cross! How would they like it?
frown.gif

rach1984horse

Visit site
Some people are unbeliveable with their horses. These people will be the same sort to peer into the feed bucket, with nothing more than a handful of chaff, belonging to your chubby pony and say, "your only feeding him that!?" while tipping half a sack of someting tasty into their own pony's bucket.
confused.gif

Hopefully shetland is extatic at the thought of being sold and the new owners have a little more sense.

Punch the current owners in the teeth to see how they like living with a tooth ache for a few weeks?
tongue.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
frown.gif
We had a livery like that, apart from she had a tb showjumper. Poor sod, some people just dont really deserve a horse do they?

Snowberry

Visit site
bloody appauling behaviour imho!!!
mad.gif

It really pees me off that some people think that Shetland ponies dont deserve the same care as 'real' ponies
mad.gif
(ok she might be like this with any animal she owns but...)
When we were thinking of selling Marcus people were genuinely amazed he was vacinated, feet trimmed every 6weeks, dentist every 6months etc....Like they shouldnt need it cos they are little
mad.gif

I hope they manage to give the shetland to a nicer and more knowledgable home so it gets the care it deserves - wouldnt your kids love a Shetland JAK??
wink.gif

L

lilym

it makes your blood boil doesn't it????? people are so fecking ignorant, and lazy.
mad.gif

Clodagh

Visit site
Stupid, ignorant...

Hope new owner is nicer, have they found a new home for him, then? Doesn't sound like many mums would be queuing up to buy him.
confused.gif

ruscara

Visit site
The more I read on here about how people are forced to see things like this, the more grateful I become that I keep my horse at a yard where EVERYONE looks after their horses very well indeed.
Poor little chap. I do hope that his new owner has some knowledge and kindness towards him.
frown.gif

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
These people will be the same sort to peer into the feed bucket, with nothing more than a handful of chaff, belonging to your chubby pony and say, "your only feeding him that!?" while tipping half a sack of someting tasty into their own pony's bucket.

[/ QUOTE ]
You know them then? LOL
They once gave Ugly Bug Pony what we estimated over the stable door to be about 50lbs of haylage.......yes, really!
shocked.gif

Not surprisingly, he was really thin & scraggy because.....yes, you've guessed it.....his teeth were so bad! (They did get his done though at least!)
tongue.gif

Samiez

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I hope they manage to give the shetland to a nicer and more knowledgable home so it gets the care it deserves - wouldnt your kids love a Shetland JAK??
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what i was thinking lol
wink.gif

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It really pees me off that some people think that Shetland ponies dont deserve the same care as 'real' ponies
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Too right! We have four at our place & not one gets a quarter of the care & attention meted out to our little SWUO & then the nitwits look surprised & comment on how good she looks & how lovely she is now......."Err, because we handle her & take care of her possibly....?" Doh!

[ QUOTE ]
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah sure bur only if it's name is Marcus & it lives in Northumberland!
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

JAK

Visit site
I think he has got a potential new home lined up but of course, they haven't actually seen him yet!
frown.gif

sojeph

Visit site
One of my pet hates is people treating shetties and small ponies as if they are 2nd class and need less care and attention than 'proper' horses!!
mad.gif

Fairynuff

Visit site
Bit like the STARS with their "Teacup Pooches"! Smaller it is less upkeep and hassle there will be for MEEEEEeeeeee!!!!!!! BSTDS. M.
mad.gif
Ps, Im in a foul mood today so its justaswell that there is a keyboard in front of me and not the owners of poor pony.
mad.gif
mad.gif

JAK

Visit site
Hope your cr*p day improves soon M!
frown.gif

Lady is now not coming to see pony after all apparently & doesn't even want the poor little blighter 'til Christmas anyway - so he's obviously intended to be a 'present'!
shocked.gif
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
Poor little bugger. I often tell people that ponies are no cheaper to keep than horses - they need the same care and attention, teeth, feet, jabs, worming, and just a little less feed where you can save money and they look at me as if I am mad.

My boys are have having dentist and physio Friday. People may think I am daft spending £100 on the physio as Cairo is semi-retired and Chancer is only two, but the way I look at it is they deserve the best of everything even if they are not out competing top level.

They also have a full medical checkup each year - basically a 2 stage vetting, again I like to know my boys are in the best health possible.

People should have to pass a test before having any animal and be prepared that teeth, feet, worming and vaccinations are something that is done as matter of course.

This is why I'm skint but my boys are well cared for.

I give the same care and attention to my expensive WB mare as I do to my little hairy cob, so should all people.

vicm2509

Visit site
Aww poor little thing. It makes me really upset when people do things like this. If you cant afford to look after a horse properly then IMO you shouldnt get one. I know there are exeptional circumstances where money is a probem but it sounds like these people wont even pay for essential care for their pony. It has taken me 8 years to finally get my horse and I would do anything to make sure he has everthing he needs. It just makes me so cross when people like this have been given such a wonderfull opportunity to own their own and dont care for it proplerly.

I just hope he has a much happier life with his new owners.

JAK

Visit site
Don't worry - you don't think a motormouth such as my dear self would allow an 'under attack laminitic' pony to be neglected or ridden, do you?
No, he is just footsore, as his feet are in very poor condition etc., despite the efforts of our excellent farrier to do something about them before it is too late! (He's getting there but he hasn't got a magic wand, sadly & the pony can't really cope with doing s*d all for weeks on end & then being expected to 'work' for gawd knows how long on hard ground etc.!)

Tbh, it's his teeth that concern me most at the moment, as these must be bothering him - if our dentist says teeth are seriously bad, they are & I am rather upset that they do not consider this a spending priority! (I fear he's going to struggle come winter, as he eats soooo slowly & wastefully!)
frown.gif

Theresa - CB, Little Stinker, Mr C & so many others on here - they don't know how lucky they are, do they?