Poor old boy!

mollichop

Visit site
Got chatting to a lovely old man in his 70's a few months ago. He lost his wife a while back and was telling me his mini Shnauzer is his only companion and goes everywhere with him.

They used to make me laugh as they both had identicle little grey moustaches and big bushy grey eyebrows :D

Well I spotted him in the distance a few times without his shadow and feared the worst. This morning he passed us and fussed the boys - so I asked where his little chap was and he said he'd had to have him pts :(

Obviously this is always upsetting but this man was struggling to hold it together as that dog was truely his best mate and he feels he is too old to take on the responsibility of another (older, rescue) dog at his age.

He said he still chats to him :( So very sad!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Oh bless him :( I am sure he would be allowed to take on an older rescue or at least help out fostering, walking or looking after the dogs at a local shelter?

mollichop

Visit site
Yep you'd hope so wouldn't you? Think he maybe needs a bit of time to pass and then he'll consider it.

Will suggest the walking/volunteering next time I see him if he's a bit less wobbly.

Bloody dogs! they do take your heart with them when they leave :(

lexiedhb

Visit site
Aww bless- so sad.

Could lend him dex for a hour probably put him off for life¬!!!

Am sure as time passes he'll go to the rescue for a distinguished older chap.....

Luci07

Visit site
Yep you'd hope so wouldn't you? Think he maybe needs a bit of time to pass and then he'll consider it.

Will suggest the walking/volunteering next time I see him if he's a bit less wobbly.

Bloody dogs! they do take your heart with them when they leave :(

Definately suggest the rescue - or he could also contact the cinnamon trust - it is a charity which helps the care and walking of dogs belonging to elderly people and he could maybe help them?

Or you might suggest he perhaps considers rehoming a golden oldie - there are veteran sites as well as they are so often overlooked yet still have a lot to give and life to live. A friend specifically went out to hunt for an elderly staffie when she lost her old boy and ended up with a 14 year old bitch. Dog is now spritely, demanding walks and is quite obviously enjoying her twilight years...

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Aw poor guy. I always worry when I see old folks walking with equally old dogs, always worry what will happen when one goes. Would definitely suggest he contacts a rescue with a view to rehoming an older dog. I have been asked this week to do a home check for an 85year old man, the only proviso to him having an older dog is that it remains the property of the rescue and is returned to them if anything happens to the old chap. As long as he passes the check of course, and I suspect I will find it hard to fail him.:(

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Poor old boy, its very sad very often their dog is their only reason for living.

Agree with all the other suggestions about getting an older rescue, its good that more and more rescue sites are doing this.