Poor old girl, anybody interested??

cundlegreen

Visit site
I've just seen this........ http://www.horsemart.co.uk/other_horse_19_yrs_3_mths_16_2_hh_bay_leicestershire/advert/200232
I looked up her sire out of interest, as I'm not into WB's, but do feel sorry for this mare, still a good sort, but so sad to see her offered up for pennies. Isn't there anybody out there that would take pity on her? You never know, you might get one last foal out of her. I'd be interested if any of you can find out any more about her breeding/ past performance record?

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
Get a last foal out of her? are you kidding? I think she will be lucky to survive this one. Poor soul. That wouldn't be taking pity on her, that would be just using her to get something out of it. Why would someone taking pity care about her breeding or what her comp record was?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Get a last foal out of her? are you kidding? I think she will be lucky to survive this one. Poor soul. That wouldn't be taking pity on her, that would be just using her to get something out of it. Why would someone taking pity care about her breeding or what her comp record was?

Just why shouldn't someone get something out of it if the mare is fit and well? Where is your problem with that?
Yes, she's poor now but with some good TLC she could be in good nick in a few months which would give her and the possible foal she's carrying a decent chance of a good future. Some mares go on breeding until their mid-twenties, some give up the ghost by the time they're fifteen; only time will tell which this mare is.
She looks a nice honest sort that's fallen on hard times, she deserves a chance and if I didn't have too many already, I'd give her one myself - and I would gauge her capacity for further breeding if she was in great health and had already thrown a decent sort of foal this time when it was time; if she wasn't looking or doing the foal well or had thrown a complete donkey that would be a different matter completely but not all of us have horses as pets, some have to pay their way to exist at all.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Oh christ I think I have worked out who the owner is, if so this is not the first time underweight horses have been sold by them. I think the stallion is Orton Top Tiger, only confused as this one is advertised as Selle Francais & Top Tiger is reg with the AES studbook

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Sorry but she's not that poor imo. Yes could do with a few more kgs on her, but I wouldn't call her neglected.

Perhaps, but dont use a photo like that on a public sale board & not expect posts like this. If it is the person I think, then they know better & as the very least someone could of put a brush on her! My mare is due March would be a little disapointed if her coat & condition looked like this mare. And she has only just started coming in at nights, so living out just like this mare. Any way older horses need a bit more care I thought everyone understood that.

madmare22

Visit site
she does look poor but beleive me i have seen far worse including a young mare i have at home. now before you all shoot me i have just gotten her and she wont look like that come next spring. a warm bath, dried off under a solarium and a rug would help, followed by some good feed.

Oscar

Visit site
Gosh that's just shocking!! I wont judge the seller as we don't know their situation and at least by selling her the mare has a chance of getting a good home (I hope!!).

But surely if you're selling a mare as potentially in foal you'd get her checked by a vet?!!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Sorry but she's not that poor imo. Yes could do with a few more kgs on her, but I wouldn't call her neglected.

For a 19 year old broodmare, no she isn't that poor and with a bit more feed and a good groom she'd look much better. Don't forget we're used to seeing broodmares (some not as young as they might be) daily but many people on this forum aren't so are probably judging the horse by a different set of criteria.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
For a 19 year old broodmare, no she isn't that poor and with a bit more feed and a good groom she'd look much better.

:confused::confused:

Don't forget we're used to seeing broodmares (some not as young as they might be) daily but many people on this forum aren't so are probably judging the horse by a different set of criteria.

Not using any different standards. I know what a well cared for older broodmare looks like. Tip top condition, unlike this mare.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I beg to differ. I think some people here who are not used to seeing broodmares, let alone ones nearing 20 years old, have a totally unrealistic vision of them. They are not muscled in the same way a riding horse is. Old seasoned broodmares are often dipped and show some rib. This mare could do with a few more calories but she doen't look in the shocking condition like some people here are saying. My mares are all well covered (and I do have some around this age) but I pander to mine somewhat however I do go to lots of other studs and many broodmares are roughed off there and look similar to this mare. I know those mares are not neglected, they're just roughed off and not as shiny and sleek as my own mares are.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I beg to differ. I think some people here who are not used to seeing broodmares, let alone ones nearing 20 years old, have a totally unrealistic vision of them. They are not muscled in the same way a riding horse is. Old seasoned broodmares are often dipped and show some rib. This mare could do with a few more calories but she doen't look in the shocking condition like some people here are saying. My mares are all well covered (and I do have some around this age) but I pander to mine somewhat however I do go to lots of other studs and many broodmares are roughed off there and look similar to this mare. I know those mares are not neglected, they're just roughed off and not as shiny and sleek as my own mares are.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree then. Certainly the aged broodmares I'm familair with do not look like this mare (and they're older).

Sportznight

Visit site
AM, I don't see where SF says that she looks A OK! She's saying that she doesn't look as bad as people are making out. I must admit that when I read the first couple of responses I was expecting to see a complete mess, whereas this mare wouldn't take too much feeding and an MOT to get her looking spot on again.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
AM, I don't see where SF says that she looks A OK! She's saying that she doesn't look as bad as people are making out. I must admit that when I read the first couple of responses I was expecting to see a complete mess, whereas this mare wouldn't take too much feeding and an MOT to get her looking spot on again.

No, SF doesn't say she looks ok at all. She merely insinuates that those of us who think she doesn't look ok don't have the experience to comment.....

If SF (or anyone) is happy for their broodmare to be in that condition - good on them. I would be most upset if mine looked like that.

YasandCrystal

Visit site

My thoughts exactly which is why I expressed as I did. I wouldn't see the ad and feel the need to start a thread over this mare. She is cheap though and well bred so hopefully will have drawn some attention to her for a loving home.

Brigadoon

Visit site
This mare is poor. Its only the start of winter and she looks like this. I know a few folk with old broodmares and they certainly don't look like this lass. How totally irresponsible letting a stallion jump into her field if your not going to keep her warm and fed. At least her feet look attended to.
Fingers crossed someone buys her and loves her.

cundlegreen

Visit site

[QUOTE My thoughts exactly which is why I expressed as I did. I wouldn't see the ad and feel the need to start a thread over this mare. She is cheap though and well bred so hopefully will have drawn some attention to her for a loving home. .[/QUOTE]

I didn't start this post about the condition of the mare, although she could look better. Its just that I feel strongly about mares like this that have "served their time" and competed (apparently) to a good standard, are not given the care and respect when they get older. She deserves better than to be offered for meat money, just to move her on.
Lets just hope that she goes to a knowledgeable home that will look after her properly.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I didn't start this post about the condition of the mare, although she could look better. Its just that I feel strongly about mares like this that have "served their time" and competed (apparently) to a good standard, are not given the care and respect when they get older. She deserves better than to be offered for meat money, just to move her on.
Lets just hope that she goes to a knowledgeable home that will look after her properly.

Very true. It is sad to see any older horse for sale, let alone a broodmare via a dealer :(

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
[QUOTE My thoughts exactly which is why I expressed as I did. I wouldn't see the ad and feel the need to start a thread over this mare. She is cheap though and well bred so hopefully will have drawn some attention to her for a loving home. .

Lets just hope that she goes to a knowledgeable home that will look after her properly.[/QUOTE]

absolutely ^^^^this. I agree that she is not in the worst condition and of course there are worse, but that doesn't mean it is acceptable. She is in foal and would need to be in better nick to see her and her foal through the winter.
To sell her for that sort of money is just begging the meat man to come and get her.
Even if she hasn't competed or been well bred, she deserves better than this surely.
My mare is older than her and still ridden on a daily basis, I am sure that with a bit of tlc this girl would be a nice horse for someone.

Spring Feather

Visit site
No, SF doesn't say she looks ok at all. She merely insinuates that those of us who think she doesn't look ok don't have the experience to comment.....

Well we'll have to agree to disagree then. Certainly the aged broodmares I'm familair with do not look like this mare (and they're older).
The couple of broodmares you are familiar with cannot be much older than this mare so that's a moot point. I've known lots of aged broodmares and I still see many on a regular basis so I'm familiar with their history and how they can peak and trough throughout the seasons. I don't think many people on this forum have the sort of experience where they are assessing multiple broodmares every day/week, more likely they know of 1 or 2 broodmares that they may only see a few times a year. I came to the conclusion some time ago that there are probably less than 20 posters who are highly experienced and knowledgable breeders that have been breeding for many years. From the perspective of another seasoned breeder they're really very easy to identify. Some have replied on this thread.
If SF (or anyone) is happy for their broodmare to be in that condition - good on them. I would be most upset if mine looked like that.
I beg your pardon? You need to re-read.

Its just that I feel strongly about mares like this that have "served their time" and competed (apparently) to a good standard, are not given the care and respect when they get older.
I agree but sometimes peoples situations change.

eventrider23

Visit site
TBH no the mare doesn't look in perfect nick but not many older mares that have had several foals and are unrugged, etc WOULD look perfect. Overall she isn't horrendous at all and i am sure if you went to lots of studs around the country you would see mares very similar. Her feet that you can see, etc look ok and so she probably just needs a bit of TLC if in a one horse home.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
The mare has been sold so hopefully her new owner will take on the fact that she is an older horse & will need a bit more TLC then a younger horse. I dont care what the more experience breeders think, IMO it is morally wrong to pass on a horse of this age unless you know full well they are to be cared for. Older horses take more work to keep them looking their best. A broodmare is coming to the end of her career once she hits her late teens, breeding into their 20's is an exception not the rule. If she is sound then there is nothing to say she could not come back into work as a ridden horse, but her old owner seems very vague on what she was like under saddle.

I also dont care what people think, I believe we owe our animals a bit more & aged horses dont deserve to be passed from piller to post. I think the main point of this post was exactly that, why pass on a mare of this age for less then meat money? If she was cared about then her photo would of at least shown a horse groomed. If they cared about her but it was just a financial problem then they could of tried for a loan home where they could of ensured she did not find her way into a sale as a younger horse. If you can afford to keep a horse as a lawn mower then fine, otherwise have them humanly despatched.

eventrider23

Visit site
I also dont care what people think, I believe we owe our animals a bit more & aged horses dont deserve to be passed from piller to post. I think the main point of this post was exactly that, why pass on a mare of this age for less then meat money? If she was cared about then her photo would of at least shown a horse groomed. If they cared about her but it was just a financial problem then they could of tried for a loan home where they could of ensured she did not find her way into a sale as a younger horse. If you can afford to keep a horse as a lawn mower then fine, otherwise have them humanly despatched.

I do agree with you Magic re rehoming older mares. I have one girl who is in foal and will be 20 next year and she will never leave me - if she does it will be having been PTS. I have known her since she was 6 and tried since then to purchase her to no avail and last year was finally given her...she is in foal for me now to El Thuder and IF she is ok then will go back in foal one last time BUT if not she will live out her days in comfort with me. I have another who will be 18 next year and she will also be the same.