Poor old pony

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Agree, pretty awful photos but if you look at many for sale adverts the photo's can be pretty shocking! (why!)
18 I dont consider too old to sell.

zaminda

Visit site
18 isn't really old. My mare is that age, and is still an utter lunatic and happily competing at a decent level. The pony doesn't look entirely happy in any of the photos though, and it is a bad ad.

Ruftysdad

Visit site
I bought Rufty when he was 17 and he has been my horse of a lifetime. Now 25 although technically on retirement livery he is still being ridden gently 2 to 3 times a week. I must add not by me. I retired from riding a year ago

Hollychops

Visit site
I bought my youngest daughters pony when she was in her late teens and dont see anything wrong with selling them at that age. She still has plenty to give in terms of confidence and experience. I always went for older ponies as they had hopefully go past the dump them and run stage and still had plenty to give.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
18 is not old for a pony, many live to be 30+, plenty of them will still be going to PC rallies etc, much older than 18 and teaching new children the skills that riders need.
The advert is dreadful and how anyone expects to sell with an ad like that is beyond me but it isn't the only poor advert that can be seen.

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
We have a 19 year old and a 20 year old, still really active and the older one is hunting about once a fortnight.
However, I just couldn't sell either or them...the future for a horse at that age is so uncertain and we've had them so long I think that I owe them a decent retirement and I dignified end when the time comes.

Hollychops

Visit site
However, I just couldn't sell either or them...the future for a horse at that age is so uncertain and we've had them so long I think that I owe them a decent retirement and I dignified end when the time comes.

I am with you on this one as in i have a 38 yr old that we bought at the age of 26 and a 26 yr old. I wont sell either as they do deserve a secure retirement, but i do not have an issue with someone selling a late teenager! They still have some value as in their experience and confidence and can go on to have lots of years left of 'use'.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Not criticising anyone, but when my old boy turned the corner to "sweet 16" then he wasn't going anywhere, end of.

Both him and his pair-bond were PTS last Tuesday, together, both at the same time. He was 22, mare was 20.

That's what I did for my horses: at age 18 I could not and would not have sold either of them, OR offered them "free to good home".

My two horses served me well, I gained a great deal of pleasure from them, and when they reached their vulnerable years, if for whatever reason I couldn't have kept them any more, then "the decision" would have been made sooner. Categorically they would not have been sold or passed on to anyone else. Period.

Like I say, I'm not saying that selling at age 18 is intrinsically wrong; but just know that I could not have sold either of my oldies at that age. Yes I know I've got a soft heart but my horses have looked after me and mine and given of their very best in their active years, and personally IF choices have to be made, then I would far rather pay them back for their loyalty by giving them a peaceful and dignified end rather than pass a much-loved veteran on to someone else who may not value them anything like as much, and to an uncertain future when they needed vet treatment and/or a quieter life, but a new owner might not have such a conscience and may be happy to pass them on down the line when they've ceased to be useful instead of doing the decent thing and PTS, and they might get shafted around from dealer to meat-man and have a horribly sad end. Not what I'd want for my old lovelies.

Last edited: