poor ponies

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/advertref/HM839N5GF/web/displayhorsedetail.asp

i hate to see horses tethered like that
frown.gif

there are some nextdoor to my yard, and its so sad theyre like that, we told the rspca, but they said they couldnt do anything
smirk.gif

but fancy advertising your horses tethered to the ground, and some looking underweight
confused.gif

D

Donkeymad

Underweight?? I see nothing in that advert that is even vaguely underweight
confused.gif

Blodwyn

Visit site
they are playing on peoples emotions, look at the reaction that they have just got from you, i suppose they think people will buy them i agree tho, i dont agree with them being tied up like that, some people just have no idea, looks like they are in some ones garden in some of the pics.

Ladyfresha1

Visit site
They are not under weight! My goodness mine must be emaciated! The collar on the one that is tethered is loose and so not doing him any harm, it is still not nice...but...it could be worse. Some horses are kept locked in a stable 24/7. Is it any different?

dwi

Visit site
I used to be bothered by tethering until I was on a yard where some people did tether. There was a large piece of common land next to the yard that they could graze on if they tethered. It meant that the horses got more turnout, more grazing and it gave the fields some rest. The collars were thick leather so didn't rub and if the horse pulled the stake came out of the ground meaning there was no risk of strangluation. They were only left like this for short periods i.e while mucking out so were not at serious risk of harm.

I have seen tethering which is cruel and inhumane but it isn't necessarily. If you have limited turnout, an opportunity to tether and a horse which has a suitable temperament then it might be an option. The black cob certainly doesn't look to be doing badly on it.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Dont think they look thin. But dont like the tethering or the dreadful "fencing" in one of the pics (baler twine??). Wonder why they're tethered though like in the 2nd pic down, the field looks to be made for horses anyway (with the fencing etc.) so why not let it graze normally?

Tia

Visit site
Sorry, another one who disagrees with the "underweight" comment. They are all H/W youngsters and as such they look just fine for their age and breeding.
smile.gif

I tell you though, what a bargain some people may get! They are so cheap!

I don't have a problem with people tethering their providing it is done properly, which in this case, it looks like it is.
cool.gif

carys220

Visit site
QR none of them look underweight and only the second picture is a tethered pony, which, if you read the ad, is a colt so is probably tethered as a temporary measure while he is sold so he doesn't have to go in with mares....

bexandspooky

Visit site
I went on a horse drawn caravan holiday years ago where you went off for a week with a map of different pubs that had fields next to them that you could park in and tether the horse - these horses spent the week nights tethered and had the weekends loose in their fields at the bases, and were perfectly happy - in the week that we were there, we didn't see one get tangled, no one broke loose, so long as you remembered to put their water buckets at the full reach of the tether they were fine.

In the mornings, depending on how many had stopped in each pub, there was a field full of little crop crop circles the next day where they had all eaten down their patch.