Poor poor handsome :(

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
One of our horses lovingly known as handsome Got kicked in the knee and had his artery broken. OMG the blood was horrendous. Hes now in the vets for at least a week
frown.gif

Please note the clamp is clamped on his artery to stop the blood

poorhandsome.jpg

truffles

Visit site
Oh good god poor horse. WOW, that looks very painful. All my positive vibes for him for as speedy a recovery as possible.

Bess

Visit site
Yes it must have been. I've been on the spot when a similar injury happened, called the yard, who called the vet and the horse didn't survive. Horrible.

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
it wasnt bleeding too much before vet come out, she cleaned it up and put god knows how much bandaging etc on it. Got him to vets, x rayed it with padding on (bearing in mind this paddin was about 8 cm thick. He obviously tore it more on journey as after x rays it was bleedin thru the padding so took it all off and it just poured out. so it was clamped and about 20 mins later when the clamp was off it had clotted enough to pressure bandage it. They couldnt sticth it as it would have to be done under general and when he gets up it would tear it all open. So he may have to have skin grafts in the near future. Poor boy

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Oh the poor thing!

When I went to a local riding school a horse there cut an artery jumping a gate. He misjudged it and fell into a ditch
crazy.gif
A walker saw him do it and ran to the RS and said you had better come as one of the horses has cut his leg and is bleeding. The YO went up and of course found him in dire distress. Fortunately they managed to put pressure on it and save him. Darn animals
smirk.gif

I hope your neddy is better soon

(PS might have been worth putting a GORY warning on your post as some might find it a bit upsetting)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Poor poor lad. That must have been terribly distressing for all involved. Really hope he makes a successful recovery for you.

CJ1

Visit site
Whoa man, that is icky! Im amazed how some horses can cope, esp with travelling when practically on 3 legs. Fingers crossed he makes a good recovery.

samp

Visit site
Poor horse, take it you do not faint at the site of blood. I have seen sme pretty awful sites when working at an equine vets, but loads of blood is so distressing for the owner

squirtlysmum

Visit site
I should think he will heal well, I was riding a ned when he stepped on something very sharp (Never found to this day!) and it severed a main artery in his fetlock, the blood pumped out at such a rate its went up his tummy and was absolutely terrifying but he recovered and went on to jump affiliated again. Good luck!!

Sparklet

Visit site
You are very lucky - my old horse caught her leg in some barbed wire and severed a vein - by the time she was found she had lost about 8 pints of blood (you should have seen the field it was pooled in hoof holes where the ground had poached and dried. It was a horrendous sight.

I asked the vet if she would have survived if she hadnt been found and she said that because it was a vein when the blood in the system gets below a certain level the flow slows down. She said if it had been an artery she would have died very quickly