Poor Purdey's been in hospital all day...

Nickijem

Visit site
:(
I took my eyes off her for 2 minutes and she jumped up onto the kitchen worktop, pulled a teatowel off and took with it my husband's blood pressure tablets :eek:
My hubby spotted her chewing something in the garden and found she had eaten several tablets. Of course it is a bank holiday so it had to be the emergency vets - they had to make her sick then feed her charcoal.
She then had to stay in hospital for 6 hours while they monitored her blood pressure.
Thank goodness she is absolutely fine and has shown no ill effects:)

Those tablets will now go on the very highest shelf in the bathroom!

Spudlet

Visit site
Oh naughty spangle!:eek:

Henry did something similar to me - left him alone downstairs for five minutes and he went rootling through my handbag and pulled out my super strength painkillers - fortunately he only chewed the packet and all the pills were intact but I went and bought a crate for him that very same day!

I'm glad she's ok - fortunately spaniels seem to have cast-iron stomachs to compensate for their stupid eating habits:rolleyes:

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
O naughty Purdey!!:eek::eek::eek:

I am glad she is ok:D - my old spaniel (when she was a puppy of about 4 or 5 months and before I got her) raided the cupbaords in the kitchen and ate washing powder and dishwasher tablets amongst other things. She had her stomach pumped and had to have a tube in to bypass her throat for a few weeks as the bleach/washing powder etc had burnt the lining of her throat!!:eek:

I have lost count of the things Sweep and Max have eaten:rolleyes: - both still here to tell the tale!!:D:D:D

Nickijem

Visit site
It makes me feel a bit better that other dogs are as daft as Purdey! We don't think she could have eaten too many tablets as we found a fair few in the garden so there were only 2 or 3 that were missing presumed eaten! Anyway she's running round the garden now trying to find something else naughty to do!

Spudlet

Visit site
It's a gundog thing I think - they eat anything and everything! My step-dad and step-brother were hilariously horrified at the sight of Henry having an impromptu snack on some horsepoo today while walking him, I am now just hardened to it:rolleyes::D

Vizslak

Visit site
Oh dear! Glad she is ok!
These things happen, when my parson bitch was about 5 months she ate a load of ibuprofen :eek: Awful, I was so upset, she had found them in the car while I popped in a shop, I didn't even know they were there, they dropped out of my handbag the day before and down the side of the seat, I had forgotten all about it. :( Also stomach pump job and loads of anti ulcer meds for a week or so.
I have a lot of particularly nasty meds in the house now and am so super careful about keeping them in a locked box right up on top of the highest kitchen unit....pain in the neck getting them down 5 times a day but I will never leave tablets anywhere remotely accessible to the pooches again! Scared the life out of me!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Well Max on our walks today has eaten sheep poo, horse poo, a dead and petrified hare, a chunk of some crunchy skeleton and who knows what that he fished out of the brook!:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

He has also had chicken wings for breakfast and half a herring with biscuits for supper.:D:D:D

Nickijem

Visit site
Those gorgeous little brown eyes of Purdey are very good at making me feel like a really bad mummy for allowing drugs to be within her reach! It was a hard lesson learned that's for sure:eek:

Vizslak

Visit site
Those gorgeous little brown eyes of Purdey are very good at making me feel like a really bad mummy for allowing drugs to be within her reach! It was a hard lesson learned that's for sure:eek:

naw, don't beat yourself up. At the end of the day no real harm was done, she certainly won't hold it against you! :)

Ravenwood

Visit site
Honestly, of all the things he could have swiped eh? LOL How typical was that!

When Badger was a pup he must have eaten nearly a whole tub of wax crayons that the children had left lying around...........we had multi coloured poos in the garden for days!

Nickijem

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for your good wishes for Purdey - I have passed them on! Luckily she is her normal puppy self today. I don't think she has turned into a smackhead addict!!

I would say to anyone though, if your dog gets hold of any drug, prescription or otherwise - get them to the vet. Even a paracetomel overdose can kill - human drugs can cause kidney failure. If they can get to the vet within an hour, they will make them sick and give them charcoal to 'mop' up any drugs in their intestines. The drugs that Purdey got hold of were potentially life threatening as they could have lowered her blood pressure to a dangerous level - thank goodness we caught her and got her sorted!