Poor wind -hobday ops? anyone got any info?

shadowboy

Visit site
Not sure if i have spelt it properly but i have been to see a horse for sale that was intended to become a great racehorse but apperently he had a narrowing in his windpipe and would not have been ok to race unless he had a hobday op. The owner decided against as there was no guarantee it would be successful, and so broke him in as a RC horse. He has competed successfully in local shows, hunting and fun rides and is a beautifull well mannered horse. He is perfect in every other way and i am keen to take him on. His conformation is pretty damn good and appart from a little lack of muscle on his back end he is spot on. Excellent breeding and was infact sold for £16,000 as a foal! Am i taking on a big gamble here? The vet has said he is fine to keep doing what hes doing in terms of work but i dont know much about this particular problem and wondered if anyone out there owned a horse with similar problems who could basically tell me if i should stay clear. I would like to point out theis is not a problem caused through over-racecing where his wind was "broken". Any info please

GTs

Visit site
If he has done all of that without a problem I would not worry - the low grades of roaring you can get by without surgical intervention. The more severe cases can be surgically operated on - one of my mares had an incredibly severe case, operated on and was fine.

If the price reflected there was a problem I would snatch him up.

GTs

Visit site
Substantially lower as - less then 16K or substantially lower to a comparable horse with the same intended use?

Stella

Visit site
Could I ask what would happen if there was a severe roar and the horse didn't have surgery? Does the condition mean that they can't breath properly? and what is done in the surgery?

Thanks

GTs

Visit site
Umm, my horse was considered a severe case and still managed to play young horse chukkars. I would imagine the horse would get winded quicker, and have some breathing difficult, but I would not say they are totally useless, especially for light exercise/happy hacker.

There are a couple types of surgery, basically what it is a paralyzed flap - they either tie the flap back (most common) or remove it (my horses had this). If the horse was a severe case I would definately get the operation done - it is not particularly expensive.

shadowboy

Visit site
Well We saw evidence of his purchace price as a receipt from a very highly known sports horse auction for £16,000 he is now for sale for £2000 as a registered TB, 6 years with the manners of a saint and is stunningly beautifull. No other problems. His roar was held not to be severe enough to warrant an opperation and he has hunted and competed RC level with success. Now i beleive this to be a bargain am i right?

Mithras

Visit site
If he was sold for £16,000 (or guineas?) at a TB auction it doesnt simply mean he is a bargain now for £2,000. The £16,000 would have been for his potential as a racehorse with possible breeding value should he be really successful. The racing world operates on a different price scale from ordinary riding horses. And £16,000 is actually very cheap for a decent racehorse youngster, almost bargain basement. It really has no bearing on his value now as a riding horse. that said, £2,000 seems about right for him now, but I wouldn't consider it a bargain simply because of him once being sold for £16,000. The roaring wouldnt bother me too much unless I wanted to event btw.

GTs

Visit site
I can not honestly tell you if it is a bargain - I know nothing about the horse, UK market, etc.

I got mine for free though!

shadowboy

Visit site
well it was definately £16,000, we saw the receipt. He was sold as a 10 month old from the date on the receipt. from what the vet has said he beleives we should snach him up. considering he has no other faults what so ever (passed vetting on all other accounts). Its good to know that other people out there are not bothered by the noise, i am not although its was a little odd to hear when we went to see him. He is also being delivered for that price - a journey of 200 miles, so i am really chuffed and i personally beleive he is a bargain as my 4 year old warmblood who came with much personal baggage as un unbroken 2 year old was more expensive than that! i cant wait till he arrives this sunday. thanks everyone for the replies!
BTW are guineas worths more or less than pounds?