Poorly dog after teeth extraction

Lauraback

Visit site
Hi all

My 10 year old dog had 3 teeth out last Monday under GA, the vet nurse gave us metacam on leaving which gave my dog a huge stomach upset which I’m still dealing with, but aside from that my dog was crying and not eating last Friday so back to vets all looked fine. They said I can give her paracetamol as she can’t have metacam she seemed to be getting better so I missed the paracetamol last night and today she is refusing to eat again ☹️ (it’s soft food boiled chicken rice egg) anyone else had this with teeth extractions on dogs? Does the pain last over a week? When I had my wisdom teeth out I don’t remember much pain obviously dogs are different ! Thank you

Last edited:

Lauraback

Visit site
Thank you Clodagh interesting your dogs were ok on soft food afterwards. My dog is a rescue and pretty stoic she been walking round with a boiled egg in her mouth but won’t eat it ! It’s usually a treat for her and she didn’t want the chicken and rice so thought I would give the egg a go, think I may have to take her back to the vets again .. I also want to give her a paracetamol but she’s supposed to have it with food so that’s not happening 😬

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Dogs normally recover quickly from teeth being removed and can eat really well without hardly any teeth, I would go back to the vet it doesn't sound right to me.

Have you tried really cutting up the food in tiny bits instead of giving a whole egg?

Lauraback

Visit site
Thank you for the replies I have been giving her soft rice boiled chicken and some egg all mashed up since the teeth extraction I only tried her on a whole boiled egg after as that is one of her fav treats 😊 she’s been walking around holding it in her mouth but not eating it. Her tummy is not 100 % yet but getting there she went all last night ok. I gave her dog protexin for her tummy last week a tube which lasted 3 days, on her check last Friday at the vets they thought her tummy was not sore and her gum looked ok as well, I’ve just spoken to an online vet through my dog insurance just now and she said it didn’t sound right that her mouth was this sore after 9 days so I’ll be booking her into my vets again who did the surgery

Lauraback

Visit site
Forgot to answer a question she usually eats wet chappie due to the delicate tummy she has always had but thought I should keep her on bland food till her tummy is 100% after the upset with the GA and metacam

Quigleyandme

Visit site
My son gives poorly army dogs off their ration those hotdog franks that come in a jar. I don’t know what they’re called but he says they are bland, very easy on the digestion and dogs think they are wonderful. Very easy to hide their oral meds in too. I do hope your dog is better soon.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Forgot to answer a question she usually eats wet chappie due to the delicate tummy she has always had but thought I should keep her on bland food till her tummy is 100% after the upset with the GA and metacam
Try her back on the Chappie that she normally eats.

It could be the chicken or rice upsetting her gut.

Last edited:

Lauraback

Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions x I gave her some paracetamol as per the online vet in a syringe and then 30 minutes later she ate the boiled egg and then her breakfast so it proves she is in pain which is unusual this long after the teeth extracted, my usual vet is booked for first thing in the morning I hope we find out what’s going on 🤞

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
This sounds very odd - I’ve had greyhounds who have had 18 teeth out at a time, and they ate their usual food as soon as they got home 🙄 (kibble or raw)

I hope you manage to find an answer tomorrow

paisley

Visit site
You could try very liquid things for a little while- there’s nothing worse than even soft solid food when you’ve got a sore tummy (I have Crohns) so dog gravy, Oralade , I sometimes boil plain chicken and keep the water for gippy tum days. You could then gradually add a tiny bit of mashed potato if it goes okay, this seems to really settle mines tum if he’s off form.

misst

Visit site
Glad they're seeing her tomorrow. I've had 2 dogs who've had extractions and one who had a mouth tumour removed with some jawbone. They are fine within 2 days even the one who had major surgery. I hope you find the cause.

Lauraback

Visit site
Hi all quick update Sophie has seen the vet for a though check over her tummy and mouth are all fine, it’s her left leg which is pretty painful she had it x rayed last Monday during the general anesthetic and they had to pull it about which has caused more pain. She has not been lame on it to date but moves her weight from one back leg to another when standing sometimes and a health check a few weeks ago showed it was sore so it was x rayed , the x Ray results were inconclusive not a full tear cruciate ligament possible small tear or cartilage issue. She’s staying on paracetamol and next check up at vets is next week, thank you everyone for your input x