Poorly dog

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My sister had to take her dog to the vet today as she found a large round lump on the inside of her hind leg. Vet took a needle biopsy of it and thinks it is a tumour, has its own blood supply. Hoped to be able to take it off fairly easily as it is not attached. However when he checked her over she reacted to him palpating her liver so now it looks as though she has liver disease of some sort. Blood tests taken and she is waiting on results. The liver problems will almost certainly mean she can't have an op to remove the lump. My sister is distraught, she thinks the world of her girl, a 12/13yr old collie lurcher. Devastated for her.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Just seen this thread, good news it isn’t her liver and sending positive vibes for the kidney tests. A worrying time for your sister, I’m glad Birch is bouncing around and enjoying herself.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My sister had the results of the biopsy today. Not good news, it is a nasty cancer though not the worst it could be. Vet says it is one that infiltrates the muscle with tiny fibres that you can't see. Taking it off involves taking a very large margin round it and keeping fingers crossed they have got it all. Other option is to just leave it and put her down when it gets too big. I really don't know what I would do if she was mine but she isn't and my sister is going ahead with an op. Healthwise she has got the all clear for the op. If my sister had to choose between Birch or her husband, Birch would win hands down so this is very hard for her. This really is a bad year.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My sister has had a sleepless night agonising over whether or not it is fair to put a 13 yr old dog through such an invasive op. Requires at least 3cm all round so will be a substantial hole in the muscle. She is a happy bouncy dog at the moment but given her age she probably only has a handful of years left anyway. My sister is so afraid that it will grow fast and she will lose her in a matter of weeks. Glad it isn't my problem but it is affecting my sleep too. I can't imagine her without Birch. Birch goes everywhere with them, on their canal boat, train and bus journeys, you name it she does it. She was a decent G5 agility dog in her prime and helps a bit with the sheep too, provides a woof and a bounce at appropriate times. The vet did point out that she is 13 and there were no guarantees so no way is he pushing her to do it.

Just to add to our woes, my younger girl has now lost 4 complete nails, latest two this morning. 3 I have been able to just pull off, first was a vet job, he trimmed all her nails as they were a bit long. She also skinned a pad at agility training two weeks ago. Something is going on that is for sure. Think I will be back to the vet yet.
IMG2324A (2).jpg

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
@Thistle . I don’t know if tagging works but Thistle had a lab that lost her nails. I can’t remember why or what they did but she may have some suggestions.
The tumour is one of those awful things that only your sister can decide. I suppose she has to decide how she will feel if she does nothing. 13 is a good age but when it’s your bestest bestie it’s not long enough.

Clarabel

Visit site
My sister has had a sleepless night agonising over whether or not it is fair to put a 13 yr old dog through such an invasive op. Requires at least 3cm all round so will be a substantial hole in the muscle. She is a happy bouncy dog at the moment but given her age she probably only has a handful of years left anyway. My sister is so afraid that it will grow fast and she will lose her in a matter of weeks. Glad it isn't my problem but it is affecting my sleep too. I can't imagine her without Birch. Birch goes everywhere with them, on their canal boat, train and bus journeys, you name it she does it. She was a decent G5 agility dog in her prime and helps a bit with the sheep too, provides a woof and a bounce at appropriate times. The vet did point out that she is 13 and there were no guarantees so no way is he pushing her to do it.

Just to add to our woes, my younger girl has now lost 4 complete nails, latest two this morning. 3 I have been able to just pull off, first was a vet job, he trimmed all her nails as they were a bit long. She also skinned a pad at agility training two weeks ago. Something is going on that is for sure. Think I will be back to the vet yet.
View attachment 96996
I have had two dogs lose nails and both times it was lupus related but there must be many other causes.

Moobli

Visit site
So sorry you’re having such a rough time, and your poor sister too. If Birch were half her age there’d be no question but at 13 I don’t know what I’d do. A decision only your sister can make. A friend had a working Kelpie whose nails kept breaking/falling out to the point she had to rehome him to a pet home but I can’t quite remember what caused it. I’ll ask her.