Poorly horse :( all the vibes needed pls...

ponyparty

Visit site
I was informed on Friday night that my loan horse had mild colic. Apparently he was very depressed, not grazing, and running a high temperature of 39. Vet came out, he was v dehydrated so tubes lots of fluids and had a root around for poo at the other end,gave him a shot, he seemed brighter Saturday morning so started him back on grass/wet hay little and often. Turned out for 20 mins this morning,seemed ok. Then was told to ride for 20 mins in walk - he seemed really footy onbhes ground and sluggish in the school, only rode for 10 mins. Then turned out for 20 mins - didn't eat, didn't drink. Given a feed - didn't eat it. He hasn't had a drink since yesterday, drabk nothing overnight or all day. Took temperature again - 38.8. My boss thinks it's an infection, I think there's something going on with his feet but can't feel digital pulse, hooves not hot. Vet on his way back out now, just wanted to vent really and ask you kindly folk for some positive vibes. Feeling pretty helpless right now and worried sick.

TheMule

Visit site
I'm pretty shocked that the vet would recommend riding a horse with a high temperature, exhibiting colic symptoms and who is not eating/drinking.
He sounds very unwell, sorry, I hope you get a good outcome. If he were me I'd want a much more pro-active effort to support his recovery.

ponyparty

Visit site
Sorry, my post was probably a bit garbled as was typing on an iphone, whilst waiting for vet, whilst talking to someone at the same time...

He was only presenting colic symptoms on Friday - he looked better yesterday (Saturday), gut sounded normal, had good appetite, much brighter, hence vet said that if continues to improve to ride for 20 mins in walk only today (Sunday). He was injected on Friday with antibiotics but he came out in hives so vet didn't inject ABs yesterday, but gave anti-inflamms again to make him comfortable.

Today (Sunday) this morning he was still bright and hungry, grazed for the allotted 20 mins completely normally - though didn't drink anything overnight.
I went home and did a few bits, came back abut 3pm , he was still snatching the handfuls of soaked hay he was allowed. So rode, but only for 10 mins as he didn't feel right. He was really footy on concrete and stones, and very sluggish. Then turned out for his 2nd 20 minute slot - no interest in grass, sniffed around aimlessly and then rested a leg and looked depressed.

Then wouldn't eat his tea (very sloppy branny feed) - unheard of for him! and was lying down, when i got him up he was resting diagonal legs alternately. i felt for digital pulse - none, and his hooves were cool. Membranes darker in colour and stayed blanched for a few seconds so could tell he was getting dehydrated again (well he hasn't drunk anything so no wonder..)

Vet came back out this evening - took bloods, will run them in the morning. he felt his hooves - this time there WERE hot. but no digital pulse still and trotted up sound and turned ok on concrete.

Temperature still high (38.3) - he's been given oral ABs as he can't have the injection again for fear of his reaction. also gave him anti-inflamm injection again - a few mins later he was looking for hay and perked up. so he's def in pain somewhere, which is putting him off eating/drinking, which is what then gave him colic on friday (as he was so dehydrated). We'll get blood results tomorrow, in meantime just got to get the ABs down him and keep trying to get as much liquid as possible in him and keep an eye on him.

I've only got him on part loan, he's owned by the riding school, but i work there saturdays and go up at least 3 times/week other than that, he's "my" horse, i'm absolutely besotted with him and am just hoping and praying that a. the ABs clear up whatever it is and/or or b. the bloods tel us what it is tomorrow and we can solve it quickly.

Still slightly concerned about lami - he was standing in the classic lami stance earlier, and then resting diagonal oppposites one at a time every few seconds, then lying down a LOT more than normal, but then he seemed fine again (before painkillers)! So bizarre. He isn't typical lami risk, no hard crest, not overweight, not done anything out of the ordinary or gorged on grass or anything.

Thanks for the vibes all, will let you know of any developments. Head girl (my boss) is keeping an eye on him and doing late night checks etc, lives onsite just opposite where his stable is, she'll let me know how he's getting on.

:(

Visit site
Sorry, my post was probably a bit garbled as was typing on an iphone, whilst waiting for vet, whilst talking to someone at the same time...

He was only presenting colic symptoms on Friday - he looked better yesterday (Saturday), gut sounded normal, had good appetite, much brighter, hence vet said that if continues to improve to ride for 20 mins in walk only today (Sunday). He was injected on Friday with antibiotics but he came out in hives so vet didn't inject ABs yesterday, but gave anti-inflamms again to make him comfortable.

Today (Sunday) this morning he was still bright and hungry, grazed for the allotted 20 mins completely normally - though didn't drink anything overnight.
I went home and did a few bits, came back abut 3pm , he was still snatching the handfuls of soaked hay he was allowed. So rode, but only for 10 mins as he didn't feel right. He was really footy on concrete and stones, and very sluggish. Then turned out for his 2nd 20 minute slot - no interest in grass, sniffed around aimlessly and then rested a leg and looked depressed.

Then wouldn't eat his tea (very sloppy branny feed) - unheard of for him! and was lying down, when i got him up he was resting diagonal legs alternately. i felt for digital pulse - none, and his hooves were cool. Membranes darker in colour and stayed blanched for a few seconds so could tell he was getting dehydrated again (well he hasn't drunk anything so no wonder..)

Vet came back out this evening - took bloods, will run them in the morning. he felt his hooves - this time there WERE hot. but no digital pulse still and trotted up sound and turned ok on concrete.

Temperature still high (38.3) - he's been given oral ABs as he can't have the injection again for fear of his reaction. also gave him anti-inflamm injection again - a few mins later he was looking for hay and perked up. so he's def in pain somewhere, which is putting him off eating/drinking, which is what then gave him colic on friday (as he was so dehydrated). We'll get blood results tomorrow, in meantime just got to get the ABs down him and keep trying to get as much liquid as possible in him and keep an eye on him.

I've only got him on part loan, he's owned by the riding school, but i work there saturdays and go up at least 3 times/week other than that, he's "my" horse, i'm absolutely besotted with him and am just hoping and praying that a. the ABs clear up whatever it is and/or or b. the bloods tel us what it is tomorrow and we can solve it quickly.

Still slightly concerned about lami - he was standing in the classic lami stance earlier, and then resting diagonal oppposites one at a time every few seconds, then lying down a LOT more than normal, but then he seemed fine again (before painkillers)! So bizarre. He isn't typical lami risk, no hard crest, not overweight, not done anything out of the ordinary or gorged on grass or anything.

Thanks for the vibes all, will let you know of any developments. Head girl (my boss) is keeping an eye on him and doing late night checks etc, lives onsite just opposite where his stable is, she'll let me know how he's getting on.

:(

Oh god this sounds so awful for all involved.

*big hugs* let us know if bloods show anything x

ponyparty

Visit site
Are you sure its not laminitis? Thats exactly how mine presented. Hot, sweating, lami stance, then switching from foot to foot.

I knowwww :( I thought that... but then there's no digital pulse, his feet weren't hot earlier (but were when vet was there, so he's said to keep checking), he was sound on concrete, trotted up fine and turned fine. Something in my gut keeps saying laminitis. if I knew how to, I'd post a pic of how he was standing earlier.
there's not muh else i can do right now, he's in the capable hands of my boss, she'll get vet out again if anything changes/he goes downhill. Vet will be ringing back in the morning. Just got to wait :( I don't own this horse so I don't have any say in what happens anyway. urrrrrgh think I might have to have a G&T :(

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
wishing your horse vibes, we have several here on permanent lami watch and pony on colic watch to the point I put cctv in her stable

Anything causing inflammation in a foot will also result in more heat in that foot. A variety of conditions are known to be associated with hot feet; most notably laminitis, sole abscesses, sole bruises, and fractures.

Assess the heat in the hooves carefully. The key is assessing all the feet and comparing the temperatures one to another. It is also vital to consider environmental conditions when assessing temperature of feet. Ambient temperature, direct sunlight in particular, affects the heat of feet.

Heat should be considered more significant if there is also digital pulse present and also increased compared to the other feet. Keep in mind that heat is almost impossible to accurately assess when feet are in direct sunlight. Also, exercise will invariably increase the temperature of the feet.

In the meantime I would treat as lami risk - until you get definitive cause of the heat in his foot, you can also try cold hosing feet and see how quick they are to warm up again, as I find with lami ones they warm up again after 10 minutes, unless they are in the second or third day of lami care and hosing, and then they stay cooler for longer due to the frequency they have previously been hosed.

Just a long shot but have you tried checking the pulses yourself or get a second opinion or another vet to check on him when you get the vet again, as sometimes a different vet may have another view. It is def worth a second opinion, and if I had asked for a second opinion from a different practice my horse would still be alive today; :(

Last edited:

ponyparty

Visit site
wishing your horse vibes, we have several here on permanent lami watch and pony on colic watch to the point I put cctv in her stable

Anything causing inflammation in a foot will also result in more heat in that foot. A variety of conditions are known to be associated with hot feet; most notably laminitis, sole abscesses, sole bruises, and fractures.

Assess the heat in the hooves carefully. The key is assessing all the feet and comparing the temperatures one to another. It is also vital to consider environmental conditions when assessing temperature of feet. Ambient temperature, direct sunlight in particular, affects the heat of feet.

Heat should be considered more significant if there is also digital pulse present and also increased compared to the other feet. Keep in mind that heat is almost impossible to accurately assess when feet are in direct sunlight. Also, exercise will invariably increase the temperature of the feet.

In the meantime I would treat as lami risk - until you get definitive cause of the heat in his foot, you can also try cold hosing feet and see how quick they are to warm up again, as I find with lami ones they warm up again after 10 minutes, unless they are in the second or third day of lami care and hosing, and then they stay cooler for longer due to the frequency they have previously been hosed.

Thank you for that - will pass this on to my boss. Vet did feel all four feet, and also gave them a tap with a hammer. Will mention cold hosing - need to see if hooves are actually hot. He wasn't in sun when vet was here earlier, it was raining and he'd had no exercise so wasn't warm from that. He'd been lying down in fact.
Driving myself mad over this - did i miss something, was he really ok earlier in the week, should i have noticed something, did i do anything different to usual, racking my brain :(

be positive

Visit site
He may now have something going on in his feet but that is probably secondary to whatever the original issue is, any toxicity can cause laminitis as a symptom, I have had a few with laminitis but they have never had a temperature, colic or been off their feed while showing very mild symptoms.
At the moment the dehydration is probably the thing to be most concerned about, drinking well will help flush out any toxins whatever the problem is, I hope the vet can find out what is going on and he gets appropriate treatment but for now keep getting fluids in, keep him on a decent bed so he can lie down and it gives support to his feet when he is standing.

ponyparty

Visit site
He may now have something going on in his feet but that is probably secondary to whatever the original issue is, any toxicity can cause laminitis as a symptom, I have had a few with laminitis but they have never had a temperature, colic or been off their feed while showing very mild symptoms.
At the moment the dehydration is probably the thing to be most concerned about, drinking well will help flush out any toxins whatever the problem is, I hope the vet can find out what is going on and he gets appropriate treatment but for now keep getting fluids in, keep him on a decent bed so he can lie down and it gives support to his feet when he is standing.

Thanks - yep I put an extra bale of shavings in for him before I left tonight. You make another very good point. just gotta wait to hear now I guess. Will let you all know what the morning brings...

Leo Walker

Visit site

Just a long shot but have you tried checking the pulses yourself or get a second opinion or another vet to check on him when you get the vet again, as sometimes a different vet may have another view. It is def worth a second opinion, and if I had asked for a second opinion from a different practice my horse would still be alive today; :(

While I am sure you are trying to help in your own way, if you are going to copy and paste things directly from the internet you should credit your source as otherwise it is plagiarism. It would be easier still if instead of stealing someone elses work and passing it off as your own, if you just posted the link:

http://horsesidevetguide.com/drv/Observation/981/heat-in-hoof-walls-foot-or-feet/

windand rain

Visit site
It may be a urinary tract infection sounds just like the livery on our yard she had a high temp wouldnt eat or drink suspected colic but no real sign apart from the low appetite and dehydrated was sore behind and was uncomfortable on the ground, but it seemed higher up than her feet. I had never seen it in a horse it was quite strange, bloods came back as that and antibiotic and pain killer worked well but like your one the symptoms returned when they wore off finally got her on the right antibiotics and made a full recovery

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It sounds like it may be chronic grass sickness to me. They often rest alternate feet, yet no pulses and feet are typically cold. I think it's to do with the toxins. The not drinking is a classic sign. Does he look tucked up? Any muscle twitching? How is his heart rate?

ponyparty

Visit site
windand rain - funnily enough, UTI crossed my mind yesterday as he was peeing fairly often but short wees. Guess bloods will tell us more, wonder if vet might need us to get a pee sample or something.

Wagtail - grass sickness hadn't crossed my mind, I've just had a little read up on it and it does sound like a possibility! He doesn't look tucked up as such, but he was clearly in discomfort and standing strangely which made me think lami yesterday. How do we post photos now that Photobucket doesn't work? Will post the pic I took of him if able to find a way.
I did try to check his heart rate yesterday whilst waiting for vet but I made it to be 24 bpm?! Then vet arrived before I could attempt it again and he did it with stethoscope but didn't say what it was. So my answer is, i don't know. But you've reminded me that, on Saturday when we were giving him his first feed, his muscles were twitching all over - we thought it was just him being a bit shaky due to hunger. He didn't do it again (that we saw). I'll message my boss so she can tell the vet when she speaks to him.

Also - Iluvecowparsley - I checked his digital pulses myself - and I know I am competent in doing this as I used to manage very well on a very heavily feathered cob haha so a fine thoroughbred should have been easy in comparison! And then vet did too and also couldn't detect that kicking pulse.

Should get results from bloods this morning - my boss has messaged to say he seems "OK" (but of course the painkillers will still be in his system) - let you know what happens. Thanks all.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Wagtail - grass sickness hadn't crossed my mind, I've just had a little read up on it and it does sound like a possibility! He doesn't look tucked up as such, but he was clearly in discomfort and standing strangely which made me think lami yesterday. How do we post photos now that Photobucket doesn't work? Will post the pic I took of him if able to find a way.
I did try to check his heart rate yesterday whilst waiting for vet but I made it to be 24 bpm?! Then vet arrived before I could attempt it again and he did it with stethoscope but didn't say what it was. So my answer is, i don't know. But you've reminded me that, on Saturday when we were giving him his first feed, his muscles were twitching all over - we thought it was just him being a bit shaky due to hunger. He didn't do it again (that we saw). I'll message my boss so she can tell the vet when she speaks to him.

Mild, chronic grass sickness can present intermittently at first. Mild colic, occasional periods of muscle twitching, patchy sweating. Reluctance to eat or drink. I have nursed one back to full health in the past but it was a long road with good periods followed by bad. However, they often have a raised pulse and 24bpm is normal. Fingers crossed it isn't GS. He will need very dedicated nursing if it is.

ponyparty

Visit site
Mild, chronic grass sickness can present intermittently at first. Mild colic, occasional periods of muscle twitching, patchy sweating. Reluctance to eat or drink. I have nursed one back to full health in the past but it was a long road with good periods followed by bad. However, they often have a raised pulse and 24bpm is normal. Fingers crossed it isn't GS. He will need very dedicated nursing if it is.

I really hope it's not GS. I'm hoping for an infection which will be easily resolved with ABs and all other symptoms will magically disappear as a result. Please :(

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Op

How is the horse today?

High pulse are not always easy on some equines, who have hairy hooves or thin veins. There are different ways to check the pulse as you will see many vets have a different technique.

ponyparty

Visit site
Op

How is the horse today?

High pulse are not always easy on some equines, who have hairy hooves or thin veins. There are different ways to check the pulse as you will see many vets have a different technique.

My boss says he's "OK". I'm at work at my other job today so won't see him until later. Vet due to ring with blood results this morning sometime.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Has the horse been shod recently, as hot feet can be linked to uneven trimming nail prick or nail bind or bruising. Some ailments show up as one cause but there could be more than one underlining issue here which gives conflicting symptoms.

Colic can sometimes cause temperature to rise quite high, one type of colic causing this is impaction or when the stomach fails to work correctly and the food remains in the stomach. The pressure of this causing a lot of pain and discomfort and rise in temperature. (They also go off their food and water)

Is he passing enough droppings for the amount of food being consumed, is he chewing the fibers to 5 ml lengths (vet needs to check) Is he loose at all. Has the vet ever checked for IBD,
IBD shows up with spasmodic colic - loss of weight - discomfort - Lack of appetite - oedema.

The warm feet I would still treat for laminitis as there must be inflammation anyway to cause this and anything you can to to reduce it should help including ice-boots.

Let's hope they do a complete blood/health check to find what is causing this poor lad these symptoms.

As Waggy said GS can also cause some of these symptoms, friends horse stopped eating and drinking and she went through so many feeds and juices to try get the mare to pull through and eventually against all odds she did. She had many many many sleepless nights in the stable and outside went through much of her wages, but fast fibre was the key that got the mare through it and it was a slow recovery but she made it.

Last edited:

OldieButGoodie

Visit site
Many years ago I had a young horse with chronic grass sickness and he displayed the same symptoms - mild colic to start with, refusing to drink, sweating, depression, standing funny etc. He rapidly lost weight - ignored feed, hay, grass and would only occasionally eat things if fed by hand. Good news is though he pulled through and is still going strong!

ponyparty

Visit site
Just had a message from my boss - it's a bacterial infection. He's to continue with antibiotics (started them orally last night) and start on some haemo tonic. Will be going to visit him tonight and will get the full story then no doubt. So relieved, hoping this is now a clear path to recovery... Fingers crossed. Will update with the full story when i get it and also with how he is in a few days. Thanks for all suggestions, will be keeping a very close eye on him still for any other symptoms. Have asked if we have any idea where the infection is, sure i'll get more info later...

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Just had a message from my boss - it's a bacterial infection. He's to continue with antibiotics (started them orally last night) and start on some haemo tonic. Will be going to visit him tonight and will get the full story then no doubt. So relieved, hoping this is now a clear path to recovery... Fingers crossed. Will update with the full story when i get it and also with how he is in a few days. Thanks for all suggestions, will be keeping a very close eye on him still for any other symptoms. Have asked if we have any idea where the infection is, sure i'll get more info later...

Fingers crossed he recovers okay.