poorly pony

JaneMBE

Visit site
Have been down to field to see Magic, after getting a call from worried helpers who are doing horses today.

She had been making funny gulping noises, her glands were up and a couple of times she looked as though she were going to fall.
I got there within minutes, and she seemed a bit better.
She was sort of gagging, and her tummy was a tender spot when I felt her. She was a bit hot too.

Waited for someone else to come down, as I couldn't pinpoint anything obvious.
She perked up, started eating, and no more retching.
Still a bit hot by the ears (but not overly so) and no more funny gagging.
Tummy gland on one side up as is her throat a bit.
Have nipped home for somethings before I go back and see if she needs a vet.
She is eating ok now (having not bothered about breakfast), walking round paddock ok (well, front paddock with bare grass)
3 people keeping eye on her while I get organised.
Not deperately ill, just unwell, and something we can't pinpoint, sort of baffled really.
Thought was obstruction, but she is eating and drinking ok. waiting for her to poo, as she hasn't yet.

Any ideas?

She isn't looking at her belly, or having any colicy siogns. When I left she had perked up even more btw.
Am going back in a few minutes as I'd rather keep an eye on her

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Sounds as though it could have been choke. Not a very nice thing to see, but if she is happily grazing now I wouldnt worry hun.

JaneMBE

Visit site
Well, went back and she seemed fine so turned her out with the others.
She had a drink and grazed, but then stopped and struggled, tried to bend in half, coughing.
Called the vet immediately.
Hour later, vet came, Magic had been resting and seemed fine. Vet said, temp, heart rate etc normal, couldn't feel anything.
Gave her food and she went into spasms again. The noises sound like a croaky swan, she is really struggling, little bits of food going down, the rest coughed out. Obviously in distress.
Vet still could feel anything blocking her.

She gave her injection of bute, and antibiotics. To haver injections daily for 5 days and bute paste, see how she goes.
Sloppy food too.
Obviously if she is getting worse we whizz her down to the clinic so she can be investigated.

At the moment none of us, vet included, know what problem is.
Lets hope the injections ease it and it goes away (if blocked) or reduces inflammation if its a thorn or something.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Awww sorry Jane. Sounds like you will now be doing all night vigils down the field, rather than a remote derelict. Take your camera with you - you never know
shocked.gif