Poppy wearing in competition

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
On Sunday our the local area dressage for British Riding Clubs is taking place. I thought as it was Remembrance Day it would be nice for the riders to wear a red poppy (if they wished) and the horses to wear a small purple poppy. Knowing how BRC can be a little fussy about turnout I rang HQ to check if it was alright to do this. I was told the horses cannot have a small poppy in their bridles but the riders can wear them. I just thought this was somewhat petty or am I over-reacting.

be positive

Visit site
I put poppies in the forelock plait of my horses at the races in November. Owners have always commented on how nice it is and they like it on their horses.

That is a lovely gesture, I am sure the owners and spectators really appreciate the thought.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
I put poppies in the forelock plait of my horses at the races in November. Owners have always commented on how nice it is and they like it on their horses.

That sounds lovely. Diamante bands are allowed under Riding Club rules but they'd probably have a melt down at a poppy in a plait.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
TBH I would have just worn them. I can't think BRC would like the adverse publicity if they banned them on Sunday :eek:
I checked as we've been told that we can't have a turquoise ear bonnet on a grey horse as it is not a subtle colour. I didn't want to get our team eliminated by just going ahead.

Annagain

Visit site
I would think a lot of it depends on how much of a stickler for the rules the tack steward / judge on the day is. I've done lots of tack checking and it's the sort of thing I would let go (after checking it's not hiding anything that could affect performance, not that I know of anything on the browband that could!) but I know other tack stewards who are real sticklers for the most pedantic of rules that affect neither welfare nor performance. I know one competitor at a local event was made to put black electrical tape over the buttons on her jacket as they were 'too shiny'. If the judge is ok with it, and the tack steward is ok with it, I don't see how BRC HQ will ever find out. The only time I could see it being an issue is if they have a bridle number on and it's obscured by the poppy, but a number on the saddle cloth would solve that.

Shay

Visit site
If I was competeing alone I would do it and argue the toss - and indeed have done it. If you are with a team they need to be OK with your stance as well. Even when my daughter was competing (BS - more relaxed perhaps than BD. PC - really not willing to argue when I stood up for her) she and pony wore poppies. Nothing blingly - the old style ones plaited into a mane were easiest - but I have noticed over recent years the clip type plastic ones being clipped into the throatlash buckle.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Given that many dressage riders are now wearing so much bling, with sparkly hats, browbands, crystals on backs of saddles and glitter on coats I really cannot see why a poppy is a problem.

A riding club level last weekend there were several riders so bedecked and bedazzled they looked like something from Star Wars.

McFluff

Visit site
Gosh I hadn’t even thought to check. I’m doing BD on Saturday and have just got a knitted poppy from JohnLewis for my horse. Was going to put on her bridle where numbers go (I have numbers on my pad). I also have a small poppy broach I was going to put on my tweed jacket. Now wondering if I should just play it safe...

blitznbobs

Visit site
Wear it... it’s almost like taking a stand for the fallen... worst scenario is you get eliminated which is an insignificantly small sacrifice compared to those you honour.

‘Lest we forget’

And If they penalise you then you can always write to H&h and the daily mail they’ll have a field day ...

catkin

Visit site
Wear it... it’s almost like taking a stand for the fallen... worst scenario is you get eliminated which is an insignificantly small sacrifice compared to those you honour.

‘Lest we forget’

And If they penalise you then you can always write to H&h and the daily mail they’ll have a field day ...

Absolutely this.

Oh, and have you seen the picture of Her Majesty The Queen riding her Fell pony?
The pony is wearing a small bunch of poppies on the side of her browband.

BOWS28

Visit site
I put one on my girly at dressage last year. I attached it to her browband and got loads of compliments! including a lovely comment on my sheet from the judge!!
I think as long as it doesn't upset your horse, it shouldn't be a problem!!

Snowfilly

Visit site
The horses round here always seem to have poppies for this week, there was lots at RC showjumping Sunday, and I'm expecting plenty at Thursday night dressage. Our local hunt horses have been known to have one of the old style ones in their plaits as well.

I can't imagine anyone saying anything - it would be a brave tack steward!