Porta-potty for horsebox

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
What do people use?

I only really want one for a quick wee or two if desperate and the loos are miles away. Currently bucket with shavings in as an emergency. I’ve looked at the small ones with chemicals which I can get for £59 on Amazon but I would have to take home to flush to the mains sewer. I guess if I ever stay away it would be handy or I need a nervous number two but usually it’ll be a day at most. It’ll be sitting in the grooms area at the back of my 3.5t so not separate so needs to be small and not smelly!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I have an old Porta Potti 22 in my 3.5 box. It is strapped in place to avoid spills. It is one of the best purchases I have made. £15 as new in a charity many years ago. It is not too much trouble to empty and clean once you get used to it.
If you have used it don’t leave it shut inside your box when the weather is hot!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I have an old Porta Potti 22 in my 3.5 box. It is strapped in place to avoid spills. It is one of the best purchases I have made. £15 as new in a charity many years ago. It is not too much trouble to empty and clean once you get used to it.
If you have used it don’t leave it shut inside your box when the weather is hot!

Thank you. Do you find you have to replace the fluids often? From what I’ve read they only last a few days before they don’t work as well? If I haven’t used it I’d like not to have to empty it.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I use the blue chemical toilet fluid. It’s about 8 teaspoons I think. I add a drop of water in the waste container too.
I haven’t noticed any smell but I don’t leave it too long especially in hot weather.
Once you get the hang of cleaning it doesn’t take long.
Empty, that ‘s the worst part
Swill out with clean water a few times
Wipe out the ‘basin’ etc.
Add blue liquid
Add water to flush
Ready to go

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I’ve got a capsule loo from Lidl, cost about £25. I use a bit of loo cleaner and water in the waste capsule bit, and add a bit to the flush water too. It does several days, doesn’t smell and is easy to remove the capsule and empty it.

D66

Visit site
I was told not to empty it at home if it will go into a septic tank because the chemicals stop the bacteria in the tank being effective. Empty it at temporary loos at your event if you can.
In the end we never did use it.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I was told not to empty it at home if it will go into a septic tank because the chemicals stop the bacteria in the tank being effective. Empty it at temporary loos at your event if you can.

Yes that’s why I’d take it home and empty it where it will go into mains sewer but I hadn’t thought of using the event porta loos. The loo at the yard where I keep my horses and the box connects I think to a small package treatment plant so would not be suitable.

Does anyone use a dry option? I thought wood pellets would be a good option if I could find the right potty. Then if just wee can be chucked on the muck heap.

Annagain

Visit site

You can get a different treatment chemical for septic tanks / eco filtering systems - a green one.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The green loo chemical is fine for septic tanks, it's what we use. It's not as long lasting de pong wise as the blue non septic tank friendly chemical.

Thetford Aquakem Green is a biologically powered toilet fluid for daily use. Biologically stimulating the breakdown of toilet waste in the waste-holding tank, it acts for a maximum of three to four days with average use and is particularly suitable when emptying the waste-holding tank into septic tanks on campsites. Harmless to the skin and eyes, with a pleasant citrus smell, it remains fluid at temperatures down to -20°C and is still effective after defrosting. Available in 375ml or 1.5 litre bottles.

We also use the pink flush tank water additive.