Portable Stabling for use at shows etc

cp1980

Visit site
Does anyone here have their own portable stabling, that they use for staying overnight at events or shows?

They are common in driving trials, but I wondered what experiences anyone has of "camping" with their horse or pony? What set-up do you have to keep your horse or pony secure and sheltered?

muffinino

Visit site
Hi, sorry for the late reply but have only just logged on. I was a scurry groom for 4 years and still help out at shows. All the scurry drivers have portable stabling, either made of wood, metal or very strong pvc.
Some have the roof attached to the lorry then put up a metal frame with metal or wood doors&sides. The ponies a re generally left loose in these and sometimes have a partition between them, depending on how good they are together. My boss, John Marson, has a metal frame with a thick pvc roof that has hooks all around and then pvc sides that hook to the roof(does that make sense?). His ponies are tied to the side of the lorry using the old fashioned 'logs', ie sandbags attached to a rope so that when they move around/lie down the sandbags move with them and they don't get caught up. This is an old driving technique and has been used for years.
All the ponies are very happy in all types of stabling and as they are in pairs for scurrying are much happier together. The only thing is that if they are tied you can't really leave water with them as they knock it over but as long as they're given water first/last thing I've never seen a problem. If they are tied up they need to be walked a lot. I can only remember one pony escaping once in 4 years and they generally don't get out. They can get out of stabling at shows anyway and the benefit is they are right next to the lorry so all your stuff is there and doesn't need hauling across the showground. Plus if there is a problem you are the first to know.
John makes his own stabling and so does Robert Lightwood, another driver and both do commissions for other people.
Anything I've forgotten?