Posh girth recommendation

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
So, Baby Horse is back on the road with a new saddle. Sadly, he will need a new girth. He is borrowing Rigsby's at present, but it is too short really and tricky to get onto the first hole!

The saddler did comment that Baby Horse is deeper than he is wide at present and this means that if the girth is the correct tightness under his belly, then it is actually baggy at the sides. This means that I have inadvertently been doing the girth so it is snug at the sides and then too tight underneath!

Saddler recommended a Scharf Freedom girth, as it would not need to be as tight. I am a little wary of the design, it just seems flawed to have such a teeny tiny strap holding me on when going XC! I am a little wary of the price too.

I looked at the HHO search function and saw the Eric Le Tixerant girth had good reviews, it seems to be grippy and comfortable (and cheaper!). I ordered one a week ago, but haven't heard back yet. I have emailed to enquire as to what the delay may be, as I fear it won't be in stock and then, with Covid, it won't be available for months. That would be a long wait with a too small girth!

If it is not available from this supplier, does anyone know where it might be in stock? Or, another girth that would be comfortable with weight spread and grippy on the tummy? There is a Stubben Freedom on Ebay, but that looks to be a similarly scary design, with just a bit of rope to hold you on ?

Or, maybe someone has the Scharf girth and could reassure me that it is wonderful, safe and won't simply fray and snap!

Oh, and to add insult to injury, the physio says that his ears are very bulbous and he could do with a fancy bridle!!!

Rigsby is not so fussy!!!

Red-1

Visit site
Love The Tixerant. Worth the wait.
Hunt around and you'll find a 2nd hand one. I've bought 5 never paid over £80 for any of them.
I have been looking for 2nd hand, sadly I need a long one and the 2nd hand ones have all been short. Or VERY long.

Do they measure true to other types, or should I go bigger?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Can't help you with posh girths. The posh girth that I tried on the IDx was the very spendy Fairfax - she indicated her displeasure at such a thing by bouncing up and down on the spot snapping her teeth :oops:. She much prefers her frankly cheap looking wintec girth.

For a good traditional looking bridle with a shaped headpiece for bulbous ears check out the Sabre Córdoba sensitive range.

Red-1

Visit site
Can't help you with posh girths. The posh girth that I tried on the IDx was the very spendy Fairfax - she indicated her displeasure at such a thing by bouncing up and down on the spot snapping her teeth :oops:. She much prefers her frankly cheap looking wintec girth.

For a good traditional looking bridle with a shaped headpiece for bulbous ears check out the Sabre Córdoba sensitive range.

Thank you. I have a Cordobra normal, have just ordered the sensitive headpiece alone to swap just that!

PS, my last horse also didn't like the Fairfax!

AlpacaTeddySJ

Visit site
I have the Scharf freedom girth and I 100% recommend it. It’s super well made and I wouldn’t have any worries about that aspect.
My horse was immediately happier and my saddle also moves less given how flexible the girth is around the horse, even with the girth looser than normal.
I also have a fairfax girth and it is also very good, however the Scharf girth is superior and the anatomical consideration is super smart. Once you have it in your hands you’ll wonder why you ever used a normal girth - or at least I did.
Plan to buy another for my other horse when he grows more.
I also splashed on an Equitex saddle pad - I feel good knowing my horse is very comfy while working for me!

mavandkaz

Visit site
Just had a lecture with a master saddler, and saddle fitter.
She recommended the scharf, and uses it on her own horse. She questioned how such a thin strap could be strong enough, and was told it's made of Kevlar and more then up to the job.

Out of my price range but does look interesting, and can see how it would make a difference

Fieldlife

Visit site
Just had a lecture with a master saddler, and saddle fitter.
She recommended the scharf, and uses it on her own horse. She questioned how such a thin strap could be strong enough, and was told it's made of Kevlar and more then up to the job.

Out of my price range but does look interesting, and can see how it would make a difference

I trialed one, didn’t notice an improvement. Saddler said can pinch some horses.
They’ve been around a few years, think must be safe and fit for purpose as not heard of any accidents.

Britestar

Visit site
I have been looking for 2nd hand, sadly I need a long one and the 2nd hand ones have all been short. Or VERY long.

Do they measure true to other types, or should I go bigger?

They measure true in my experience.
Am currently on the hunt for a tiny one for 12.3hh pony.

AntiPuck

Visit site
Not what you asked about, but might be worth trying as a cheaper alternative first, if you haven't already - I have found the Stübben cord girths to be excellent for my deep and wide-barrelled girl who formally had saddle-slip issues. It's wide, soft, grippy, and hard to over-tighten too much because it naturally flexes. They get great reviews for hard-to-girth types.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Not what you asked about, but might be worth trying as a cheaper alternative first, if you haven't already - I have found the Stübben cord girths to be excellent for my deep and wide-barrelled girl who formally had saddle-slip issues. It's wide, soft, grippy, and hard to over-tighten too much because it naturally flexes. They get great reviews for hard-to-girth types.
Didn’t work for my horse with forward girth groove. Which I think Red1 has?

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site

I have one of these on my barrel of a Warmblood - its fab, lovely & wide & a big surface area. Saddle never slips.

Fieldlife

Visit site
I use an anatomical mattes girth for my forward girth grooved horse. Fairfax / prolite was a good shape for girth groove but horse didn’t like the hard edges.

Regandal

Visit site
I use a kentaur anatomical leather girth for my Arab who has a forward girth groove it works really well. They are lovely quality leather and I think they look really nice as well.

I have one as well, lovely girth. Not being used at present, if anyone would like to borrow it just pm me. Can’t remember the exact size but my horse is a 16hh tb type.

Red-1

Visit site

The one he has borrowed from Rigs is a Stubben cord one. It is OK but still had way too much pressure on the underside with none on the sides. It is disconcerting when you check ypur girth and can actually see daylight, yet the underside is tight!
Didn’t work for my horse with forward girth groove. Which I think Red1 has?
He isn't as forward as my previous horse but I don't think this type is correct for him. I think he needs a grippy plate under the brisket, which the Le Tixerant has. Fingers crossed the saddler with that one gets back to me.

Red-1

Visit site
I have one as well, lovely girth. Not being used at present, if anyone would like to borrow it just pm me. Can’t remember the exact size but my horse is a 16hh tb type.
Wow, that is very kind. I just had a look at their girths, the York looks a likely type. I wonder what it would feel like to them, having the elastic expand and contract next to the skin?

https://www.kentaur.cz/en/product/detail/york/

Red-1

Visit site
Ah, I have snapped up what I hope will be a bargain. A Kentaur stud girth, with the elastics. It was on make an offer on eEbay, I made a low offer as it is a bit longer than is ideal, but I think it will at least do up, even if it is on the top holes. They made a counter offer, so it may be perfect now, it may be one for him to grow into LOL.

Red-1

Visit site
Have you tried a prolite? My saddle fitter said a lot of horses seem to prefer them to the fairfax!
I had the Fairfax before the Prolite came out. Most of the feedback I've had about them is that they are good when new, but get harder as they get older. Fingers crossed the Kentaur will be fab when it comes, or it will be back on Ebay!