Position in Jump Saddle for Hacking

Coblover63

Visit site
I have a short-backed traditional cob mare and long thigh bones so I have just had a jump saddle custom built for her as although we are never going to set the world on fire, we like to do a bit of everything and I was told "you can do dressage in a jump saddle but you can't jump in dressage saddle" GP flaps just don't take up my leg enough.

It was mentioned by an observer and I have to admit that it never occurred to me but I just wondered if I should now shorten my stirrups and hack out in more of a jumping position? At the moment the saddle is bedding in and I've been adopting my usual fairly long heel, hip, shoulder aligned position. Will sitting like this affect the balance of my new saddle and bed it in incorrectly? The comment has made me wonder now....

mini-eventer

Visit site
Try it and see what makes you feel most secure. I tend to hack shorter than schooling but not as short as I jump unless I am doing lots of faster work. You may not feel secure if you are riding long in a jump saddle. I have no control over over my lower leg!

I wouldn't have thought it will effect how your saddle beds in

Branna

Visit site
I hack in my jump saddle and change stirrup length depending what I'm doing. Usual on the buckle plod length is one or two longer than my jumping length. But if I'm doing a lot of fast work I might put them up to XC length which is 2 shorter than normal jumping. If I fancy doing dome standing in stirrups balance work they go another 2 holes shorter!