Position tips for adult jumping on pony

paddi22

Visit site
Any position advice/tips appreciated on this. I usually jump a 16.2 sportshorse type, but have recently acquired a 14.1ish rescue pony (i'm 5 foot 6) who used to be a sulkie racer. We recently started jumping and she has a very powerful hind end and a massive jump. She's a sensitive sort, so to avoid catching her in the mouth I hold the mane. When she jumps, she has a short neck and it feels like you have absolutely nothing in front of you! i'm used to a big strong horse basculing over bigger jumps, so I feel completely wonky on this smaller pony! At the moment we are only doing teeny cross pole jumps, but she launches over them and its a completely different jumping feeling to what i'm used to out eventing. Any good balance or position tips anyone use??!

Lintel

Visit site
I have a little Highland powerhouse... I find the best way to deal with his jump is not to anticipate or try to guide them like you would with a horse I let him get on with what he needs to do and give him all the room he needs(head wise), grip with your knees and let them fire you forward.

- it's never going to be pretty... But it's the best way for me and my boy who jumps like a stag sometimes or pushes through all that power from behind just like your girlie!
Good luck!

paddi22

Visit site
cheers! i was worried it was just me messing it up. The 'not being pretty' comment is actually very reassuring, as I was worried I should be perching prettily on her!

coss

Visit site
i was told to follow the belt buckle over the fence whilst allowing with the hands - stopped me over folding but meant i was still going forwards. if i fold a lot i feel like the ears are going to meet my nostrils and that's without the horse jumping like a stag!