Positive pony buying post 😊

minesadouble

Visit site
In light of all the recent threads about the horrors of buying and selling I thought I’d counterbalance them with a positive story.
Daughter (11) recently started riding again after quitting at 5 years to do competitive gymnastics. Her old lead rein pony told us in no uncertain terms he was definitely NOT up for the first ridden job and we then got a pony on loan.

To cut a long story short the loan pony (though lovely and not malicious in any way) was just a bit sharp for her and she started making excuses not to ride, culminating in a teary confession that she was scared of the pony and just didn’t want to ride him.

So with fear and trepidation in my heart I set out looking for the lesser spotted unicorn - a safe pony that would give my now very nervous daughter some confidence. I didn’t care what it looked like provided it was safe.

The first day (a Tuesday) I looked on horsequest and saw a beautiful WPB gelding who sounded good on paper with the bonus of being not bad looking either.

Called the lady, who sounded absolutely lovely. Drove 3 hours on the Saturday to go and see him. Daughter rode him, loved him, I agreed to buy him and left a deposit cue lots of tears from the family who had bought him from his breeder and clearly adored him. They dropped him off the following day as they wanted to see his new home and brought with them his vast vast wardrobe and more farewell tears.

This was about two and a bit months ago and daughter has gone from sitting looking terrified asking me to lead her pony in walk, to confidently cantering round the arena, hacking out and being placed 3rd in her first dressage with 64.5% which was also her first ever competition off the lead rein.

I’m so ecstatic we found this pony. He is literally worth his weight in gold and I can’t believe how quick and painless it was.
So to all of you buyers and sellers out there don’t lose hope, there are some lovely honest sellers out there and some buyers who won’t mess you about - fingers crossed you find them as easily as I did!

Branna

Visit site
How lovely! I must say I have never had significant issues buying or selling but imagine it must be very nerve wracking looking for a confidence giving pony. Sounds like you have found your daughter her perfect pony!

SpringArising

Visit site
That's fab! I've never had that much of an issue buying, but that's usually because my criteria is quite lax. Saying that, I do find it almost impossible to find horses that I actually enjoy riding, and I absolutely love my new horse. He's a lovely horse to be around AND ride :)

Visit site
Same here, its been a nice positive experience :)
After owning my NF for 3yrs it became apparent I had reached his limit but not mine so took the decision to part with him. Tremendously upsetting realisation but with the help of my Jump Instructor Ive found him the most perfect family home as a children's therapy and teaching pony from whom I get lots of updates, and have bought my new jumping pony who is very green so ive a busy winter ahead. Having the right help and guidance made all the difference to me being a newbie at selling on x