Poss stupid question re genetic tests

fankino04

Visit site
This might be a really dumb question but as people can have DNA tests to show what they have the genetic markers for, can they do the same for horses? Really struggling to find somewhere new for my massively obese retired mare and worrying myself stupid that she is going to come down with lami. ( 17 and never had any signs of it before), would be nice to know if I can relax and let her be a happy fatty with her pals or need to consider individual grazing again to get her weight under control ?

rextherobber

Visit site
CAG on Germany do tests for various things, but not sure that they are peer reviewed, but might be worth a read, they do PPSM tests and others, like for foals born without skin etc. Otherwise , I guess your vet is the person to ask?

SEL

Visit site
There's no genetic test available for EMS but your vet can do blood tests which might put your mind at ease - or not. Any horse is at risk of laminitis but obesity increases the risk so I'm pretty sure a vet would tell you a weight loss programme is in order.

I do have a retiree who I let get fat - he's happy and if he gets lami I'll call it a day. Decided he should enjoy his retirement on grass.

fankino04

Visit site
There's no genetic test available for EMS but your vet can do blood tests which might put your mind at ease - or not. Any horse is at risk of laminitis but obesity increases the risk so I'm pretty sure a vet would tell you a weight loss programme is in order.

I do have a retiree who I let get fat - he's happy and if he gets lami I'll call it a day. Decided he should enjoy his retirement on grass.
This is what I'm trying to weigh up at the moment, she's so happy out with her friends, she's not on loads of grass but really does need practically nothing to put on weight. I can't find anywhere with bare enough grazing and similar horses for her to go out with so a diet would mean separation which she would cope with but certainly not enjoy as much. Have booked vet for Friday for annual jabs so will talk it over with them.

Casey76

Visit site
This might be a really dumb question but as people can have DNA tests to show what they have the genetic markers for, can they do the same for horses? Really struggling to find somewhere new for my massively obese retired mare and worrying myself stupid that she is going to come down with lami. ( 17 and never had any signs of it before), would be nice to know if I can relax and let her be a happy fatty with her pals or need to consider individual grazing again to get her weight under control ?

Most laminitis is caused by high insulin levels. You can do a blood test to see what her insulin levels are like. If they are raised, she will be at significant risk of developing laminitis, and your vet will (should) advise you that she needs to lose weight.

‘IMHO it is not fair on the horse to be “massively obese” as this will have a knock on effect on joint health as well as a multitude of other things.

fankino04

Visit site
Most laminitis is caused by high insulin levels. You can do a blood test to see what her insulin levels are like. If they are raised, she will be at significant risk of developing laminitis, and your vet will (should) advise you that she needs to lose weight.

‘IMHO it is not fair on the horse to be “massively obese” as this will have a knock on effect on joint health as well as a multitude of other things.
Thanks, I am looking for somewhere that can manage her weight better as don't want to ignore it but also don't want to rush into moving her somewhere that does individual grazing and have her miserable if she's not in imminent danger.

fankino04

Visit site
Well I booked the vet to do her jabs a little early so I could speak to him about her weight and he came out today. He says she is definitely fat but not massively obese and doesn't think she's in any danger of laminitis but does agree we need better weight management. We both think the problem was not shifting enough in the winter so not panicking now but do need to look for somewhere with similar horses going into winter who won't rug up and do so much ad lib hay. He says he doesn't see the need to do a glucose / insulin test.