Possessiveness in a youngster

Jlb1989

Visit site
Hi I have a 2 year old hackney x filly on my hands who’s full of spirit and incredibly feisty ! We have come so far together , but have hit a patch of possessive behaviour I.e no one allowed near me as she goes for theM and now the field she becomes aggressive over her space so poo picking becomes a battle field I’ve had a few youngsters In my time and have never come across this it’s all new anybody had this issue in the past ? How did you over come it ?

be positive

Visit site
It sounds as if she is being over handled and if possible needs to be turned away in a herd to learn her manners with minimal handling for the winter, just a daily check in the field, feet trimmed when required and nothing else, if that is not an option for the winter I would still do as little as possible, ensure there is plenty of space and forage so she is not resource guarding and find a way to poo pick when she is not out. I would then try and turn her away in the spring to grow up.

On a daily basis try and be less of a friend to her, if she is easy to deal with back off as much as you can and make sure you are not feeding her directly, if she comes in to a stable get everything ready so she does not see you as a provider of food, distance yourself and hope she realises her real friends are equine not human, she may be full of spirit and feisty but she is behaving like a brat .

Jlb1989

Visit site
Thank you so much you’re right she is behaving like a brat unfortunately my herd field is within a public right of way and the fact she is so shitty with people right now scares me as the last thing we need is a law suit or even an injury to start with ! my thought today was that she does need to be in a herd situation she needs bringing down a peg or two maybe I’m best getting through the winter stabled and then finding somewhere suitable for her to be a horse as she has been alone for year one with no human contact and second year just me. whilst everything else is going amazingly well , this possessiveness is to much

Jlb1989

Visit site
I should also add she wasn’t over handled but along came sweet itch so had to have treatments during the last 3 months hence the change

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Is she on solitary turnout?

I believe some horses are OK with solo turnout, but that would never be a youngster. I think some horses can handle it once they are up and in work, as you can then manage their energy and give them something to think about. Babies who live alone always have problems coping IME.

I would not wait to find her some companionship. If you don't want to turn away completely then I would change yards to one where she can be in at night and out in the day. Having said that, I believe she would be safer in a yard where there are similar babies and older horses with no shoes. I am wary of horses in heard turnout that are shod, especially where one of them has no social skills with other horses. That one is a recipe for disaster.

Jlb1989

Visit site
Is she on solitary turnout?

I believe some horses are OK with solo turnout, but that would never be a youngster. I think some horses can handle it once they are up and in work, as you can then manage their energy and give them something to think about. Babies who live alone always have problems coping IME.

I would not wait to find her some companionship. If you don't want to turn away completely then I would change yards to one where she can be in at night and out in the day. Having said that, I believe she would be safer in a yard where there are similar babies and older horses with no shoes. I am wary of horses in heard turnout that are shod, especially where one of them has no social skills with other horses. That one is a recipe for disaster.
She is in at night and out during daylight hours she is in her own field but is surrounded by other horses

be positive

Visit site
She is in at night and out during daylight hours she is in her own field but is surrounded by other horses

From your OP I thought she was with others because you said she allowed no one near you and assumed you meant other horses, I would definitely find some way of her having at least one other companion as this type of set up is so unsuitable for youngsters, they have some of the benefits of being near others but being territorial would be one of the many downsides, she is confused about her role in life, having sweet itch will not help as it is a horrid condition that can make them irritable and grumpy anyway.

Jlb1989

Visit site
From your OP I thought she was with others because you said she allowed no one near you and assumed you meant other horses, I would definitely find some way of her having at least one other companion as this type of set up is so unsuitable for youngsters, they have some of the benefits of being near others but being territorial would be one of the many downsides, she is confused about her role in life, having sweet itch will not help as it is a horrid condition that can make them irritable and grumpy anyway.
Sorry I should have stayed more clearly she dosnt like other humans near me she becomes protective of me and aggressive towards them

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
A swift kick up the arse (probably not literally, but you should carry a stick or lunge whip to use if she so much as puts her ears back) should sort this out - she needs to learn what is acceptable and what is not. Aggression, of any sort and towards anything is not allowed. She would be better off in a herd of older horses where manners are very immediately installed.

twiggy2

Visit site
Chuck her out full time in a herd with minimal handling for the winter.
You will probably not have the problem come spring.
She must be bored witless and when you are there you are her only source of company or stimulation it's not surprising she is behaving how she is, she is guarding a very valuable resource.

Jlb1989

Visit site
Ironic I felt I came a long way with this youngster she’s my 5th youngster so it’s not new the behaviour was new i found out 3 days ago my livery neighbor was hand feeding her carrots and a full pack of mints on top of the huge amounts of grass in the last 3 days without she’s been amazing after my words to said livery! How ever I have also put my most domineering pony out with the said youngster! And I all ready see a change in handling and behaviour my issue was that all of
Y youngsters are bought from a herd as yearlings this one was different she was bought as a yearling from an old man that passed away ! I thank you all for your advice we are moving forward

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ironic I felt I came a long way with this youngster she’s my 5th youngster so it’s not new the behaviour was new i found out 3 days ago my livery neighbor was hand feeding her carrots and a full pack of mints on top of the huge amounts of grass in the last 3 days without she’s been amazing after my words to said livery! How ever I have also put my most domineering pony out with the said youngster! And I all ready see a change in handling and behaviour my issue was that all of
Y youngsters are bought from a herd as yearlings this one was different she was bought as a yearling from an old man that passed away ! I thank you all for your advice we are moving forward

If you have other equines available why on earth would you put a youngster out on its own?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Because I have to whey up the possibility of loss to an a star school master for a youngster that’s why

I'm afraid I don't understand your answer. I could work out that you meant weigh up but the rest of it was beyond me. Perhaps I should put the question differently;
Who the hell buys a youngster knowing that they don't have and can't provide any suitable company for it?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I'm afraid I don't understand your answer. I could work out that you meant weigh up but the rest of it was beyond me. Perhaps I should put the question differently;
Who the hell buys a youngster knowing that they don't have and can't provide any suitable company for it?

Lots of people, unfortunately.

Jlb1989

Visit site
This was a thread for help not an argument or judgment I’ve dealt with all of my youngsters successfully and happily I’ve taken Advice from respecting people and moving forward thank you for your concern though appreciated 😉