Possible covering with huge size difference.

EdithSparrow

Visit site
Hey there we are suspecting the "gelding" in the field with my horse is a rig and has been seen mounting my mare a few months ago that no one bothered to tell us until after we were on about how he hasnt harassed my mare in a while (few months ago he was biting her all the time and obsessed with her) we are getting the vet out to check next week. However the issue is that the guy is 18hh and my girl is only a 14.2hh cob, if she is in foal with the sizing be much of an issue for my girly.
She also has leaky teets with like a yellowy sap like subsistence its not much and is always dried on but i clean it every day for the last week or so and its always there the next time i see her. shes never had that issue for the past 5 years owning her.
Attatching a photo of her teets (yeah they flies have been getting at them hence the bits of blood shes in a rug and gets sprayed daily)

Attachments

• 20210630_192914.jpg
    20210630_192914.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 94

TheMule

Visit site
Separate them immediately, whatever the outcome it is unfair on the mare to be mounted by something so much bigger than her and you risk serious injury. Then vet ASAP- blood tests for the 'gelding' to see if he is a rig and a scan for the mare to terminate a pregnancy if there is one from this season.

Equi

Visit site
Geldings can act stalliony too so unless the person they bought the gelding off is really dodgy i would be inclined to think he is a gelding. The teats dont in any way look "pregnant" but it can be impossible to tell, but they do look very fly bitten. Udder cream/sudocreme and i would have a look at your mares weight as some mare can lactate if they are simply way too heavy. As said, they need to be separated if he is mounting her as it is a huge injury risk with such a size difference.

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
as a purely academic question, why should she terminate? Because the size of the foal would be too much?

I’m not disputing, I just want to learn!

Hepsibah

Visit site
There were some experiments done with absurdly different size sires and dams, Shire x Shetland I think. Walton and Hammond, 1938. They did it both ways with the aim of finding out if the size of the mare had any effect on the size of the offspring or if it was purely genetic. In this instance the Shire mare had a foal that grew to 15hh when bred to a Shetland stallion and the Shetland mare's foal with the Shire sire finished at 13hh. The size of the mare had a marked effect on the size of the foal pre and post birth.