Possible horsey careers for short people

Mr Brown

New User
Visit site
Hi, Im new on here but I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what short riders/horsey people manage to do.

I am an adult but only about 4ft 7inches. I am wondering how other shorter riders manage. especially regarding dealing with Horses rather than ponies? like tacking up/ untacking etc..

kiritiger

Visit site
Well mostly, I ride ponies. I prefer them to horses anyways and they suit my needs better :) However, in my previous job there were some giant horses I needed to be able to tack up quickly and to be honest, it kind of depends on the type of saddle. For english saddles, especially dressage saddles, a step stool is the way forward. For western saddles (much easier lol), there is a technique which is helpful and it is pretty easy, even from the ground saddling bigger horses (16.2hh++). Bridling - teach the horse to lower its head for you. Treats are very helpful for this. I worked on a ranch with 46 horses. I could only not saddle one, he was 17.2hh and his saddle weighed 65lb. It was the weight of the saddle more than anything which was the problem and I had no problem saddling him with a different saddle. I am 5ft 1 btw, and I had co-workers who were shorter than me.