Possible New Horse, lamintis people advice needed

cornwallexracers

Visit site
I’ve got a bit of a ‘what would you do’ type question, and hopefully the laminitis experts can give me some advice please?
The back story is that after a nasty experience with another horse I’ve not really had the confidence to compete for a couple of years, and with my youngster coming on now and my older horse going into retirement, I’ve been looking for a nice competition schoolmaster to get me back into the swing of things (gently).
A friend of the family has a nice 13yo gelding who has evented previously (11 BE points), however, she put him on loan a couple of years back when she had her first baby to someone and basically it was a complete disaster, they talked the talk, shall we say but couldn’t walk the walk, and the horse ended up being thrown into a field where it became massively overweight and got laminitis, when the ‘competitive’ daughter it had been loaned for couldn’t be bothered.
The family friend got him back, dieted him down (150kg off), got him sound and he’s been in work for a while, nothing competitive, but she’s now expecting baby No 2, so won’t have the time to dedicate to riding him regularly, so has asked if I would be interested as she has known me and my family for a long time and I would hope know that I would take very good care of him.
I am really tempted, he’s lovely and fits the bill completely, but I’ve never had a horse which has had laminitis in the 25 odd years I’ve had horses, so I have no experience of managing one as obviously it’s something which once they’ve had can be set off again, and the more I read about laminitic management, the more I am confused! It’s been three and a half years since the original laminitis, and there was no rotation, he’s been sound ever since, with the exception of one bruised sole.
I would love to take him on, ideally the plan would be to get to know him for a couple of months while I get him fit to compete (predominantly local ODE’s) for 12-18 months and then if things go really well think about going BE, it wouldn’t be a case of heavy competing at all.
So really, my questions are (and I apologise if any of these seem stupid, but I’m trying to increase my knowledge so that I can make an informed decision) have any of you ever had a horse that had been laminitic that then went on to compete, and were there any ongoing or recurring issues?
Would you take on a horse which has previously had laminitis? What things are absolute need to knows? How do you best manage a previously laminitic horse, except for the obvious keeping weight off? Do you graze at night, or day in summer, etc etc!
Sorry for all the questions, but it’s so confusing once you get into reading about the condition, that I feel more confused now than ever!

be positive

Visit site
If you think he will do a good job in restoring your confidence, which he sounds ideal for, then I would go for it, it seems that it was due to really poor management and with no rotation there is no reason to expect problems with him now, keeping him really lean and event fit should be enough to prevent further issues.
I would treat him the same as any competition horse in my yard, out at night during summer in during the day, this works well for most as on competition days you do not really change routine as far as feeding goes, keeping them on soaked hay is helpful to reduce sugars as well as better for the wind, low sugar and starch feeds which are enough for most competing at the lower levels, if he requires a little more energy oats would be reasonably safe to give him.
One of mine had a bout while in full work mid winter he hardly needed any change in management to continue, I had just given him some rather rich haylage and it went to his feet much to my horror as I had him lean and working fairly hard at the time but caught early it was not a problem for him to keep competing although he was not an event horse I kept him as fit as one.
The only other thing to really keep on top of is shoeing him, a good farrier will help maintain a good balance and avoid letting the toes become too long which can cause problems.

Have fun and enjoy him.

Micky

Visit site
Agree with above post...its all about management..out at night in summer ( sugars are lower then) make sure its not too lush grass as well..In in the day, soaked hay, etc. Swap around at back end of september...in at night out in day.
Take a look at the laminitis site which will give you loads of info about laminitis.
Dont be put off as it is quite simple to manage, esp if you are exercising horse regularly and are already aware of potential problem.
Feeds should be lower than 10% sugar and starch, add salt if worked hard and sweaty.Hay soaked for 6 hours, drained and fed.
Enjoy him :)
Basically I have repeated whats been said above but it works!

cornwallexracers

Visit site
When would you reccomend to start turning out at night? (this is my biggest quandry at the moment as we're on a new yard ourselves so don't know what the grass situation will be like), and obviously we are now coming into the grass growing season so it will be a 'danger' time I suppose? Apparently the one thing he will absolutely not do is eat soaked hay, he will just leave it according to his owner, and the vet reccomended (when he was suffering the original attack) that if it's something he absolutely objects to then to feed him normal hay (never hayleage) as him starving himself while in the box can cause another issue (release of fat to the blood?). Everything he eats at present is high fibre, as low sugar as possible, and the minimum required.

Micky

Visit site
I usually turn my lad out at night in may..transition is easier than you think :)
Go with your eye so far as feed goes, if he is being working hard, then you can increase his feed. You should be able to feel his ribs fairly easily, running your hand along his side. Not see them or have to dig your fingers into him to feel them. You'll be fine, enjoy him, sounds lovely.

lizness

Visit site
There is a lot of thinking now that laminitis is often lined with an underlying metabolic issue so may be worth testing him for cushings?

amage

Visit site
Given that you would be loaning him from the person who rectified his laminitis when it did occur and has managed him successfully ever since I would ask them can you have a sit down, go through everything and then have a chat with your new yo.