Possible trashing of x-ray machine

AliJo

Visit site
My horse is due to have a foot x-ray soon but, going by the one she had 2 years ago, I am very apprehensive. Last time she would not keep her foot still when the plates went near the foot. She ended up knocking very expensive machinery which the mobile x-ray man did not find very amusing. He did manage to take 2 photos which showed the results but he was not a happy chappy.
Anyway, the vet has organised the same man to come out (I don't think he knows its us as we have moved yards since). What can I do to make things easier this time - should I have the horse sedated? Anyone have similar problems and ideas?
Thanks.
confused.gif

Oldred

Visit site
If you have got a bit of time, how about desensitising her to the elements of the experience that frighten her? Could you rig up some sort of foot rest (log, piece of wood) for her to rest her hoof on then reward her (positive reinforcement) with a titbit or fussing. Use some other bits of wood or plastic lid of vitamin tub for instance, and hold them up against her hoof saying 'stand' or steady holding for an increasing amount of time - then reward. Do it while she is eating her feed or a haynet as long as she is safe to do this with - don't get kicked! Do it building up the components of the action slowly and repeat often. Hope this helps.

AliJo

Visit site
Good idea, I hadn't thought of that. We will start practising straight away. Thanks. Luckily its her front foot so we won't get kicked - she just waves it about. Being a heavy cob, thats a lot of hoof to be waving at the machinery!

crackerjack

Visit site
friend of mine recently had her horse x-rayed like this same place/ machine etc and she had her sedated which seemed to do the trick.

lordflynn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She ended up knocking very expensive machinery which the mobile x-ray man did not find very amusing. He did manage to take 2 photos which showed the results but he was not a happy chappy.

[/ QUOTE ]
completely his fault if he forgot to bring the dope! ask for sedation in advance bt its also a good idea to try and desensitize.

LauraBR

Visit site
Really? I have had several horses legs/feet x-rayed and never needed sedation?

If he were mine and he's been frightened before I think I would try the desensitisation stuff, and make sure he was a tiny bit hungry for x-rays come... might be easier to distract?

If he turns out to need sedation then you have a vet there able to make the decision and adminster it so I really wouldn't worry. I'm sure they have dealt with more difficult horses!

Perhaps it would be worth discussing your concerns with the vet over the phone beforehand?

Good luck x and I hope the x-rays give the result you want x

lordflynn

Visit site
well, mine didnt need it for scans but alot of horses do need it for scans and x-rays. They wouldnt hang about if you took the horse into the practice-a low dose could chill her out enough to realise its OK without her not knowing whats going on. Personally I think its better not to make an issue out of this sort of thing and if that takes a little dope then so be it-although they obviously charge extra for it
grin.gif

AliJo

Visit site
Thanks a lot everyone for your advice. I think I will make sure the vet will come at the same time so he can sedate her if necessary. Will also try to desensitise her beforehand anyway as it may save on the cost of sedation! The vet can then read the x-rays straightaway so we won't have to wait for the outcome. We're looking to see if the ringbone has got any worse.

Patches

Visit site
Patches was x-rayed without sedation, on both her knee and her front feet. I've had two other horses x-rayed though and both times they were done whilst sedated. I was suprised Patches wasn't to be honest.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
our vet would never try this without sedation even if the horse seems quiet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems way overkill - I will not spend $50 each time, because my vet is a fruitloop!

GTs

Visit site
Charging you for sedatives, because he/she is concerned about their equipment before they have given your horse a chance is not good practice IMHO. Why run the risks of sedatives, incur extra costs, etc when you do not have to?

AliJo

Visit site
We will make sure the vet is there in case she does need the sedative but hopefully we will give it a go without and see what her reaction is. If she looks at all unsettled while the machinery is being set up then we shall sedate her to be on the safe side. (I certainly couldn't afford to pay for new equipment if my horse did decide to mess about)!
crazy.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Basically - if she will be unhappy about it she may well have to be sedated.

The vet will have sedative on board - so should be fully prepared to administer it.

Good luck.

Alibear

Visit site
the advantage to x-raying without sedation is you can still do post x-ray flexions and nerve blocks. ok so in the main you'd do that first but sometimes the x-rays show up the unexpected and then it's back to the blocks.

Jo C

Visit site
I haven't had my horse sedated whilst xraying as we seem to do it so regularly but I guess it depends on the horse.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
We used to prime the machine so it made the noise (which seems to be what upsets most horses) without taking the xray. If the horse was upset by the noise then we would sedate. Particularly for foot xrays which involve getting the head of the machine very close to the feet and under the stomach as well as keeping the feet still in a variety of positions! I would say 50% of horses were fine and 50% needed sedation. As you have already had trouble I would request sedation from the start - it could save a lot of agro for you, the horse and the vet!

judymoon

Visit site
why not use a twitch? i used to be a vet nurse in states and we would xray hundreds of TB yearlings each sales season, when we did retakes of a couple of shots we would not sedate unless really bad, but twitch, its very quick and simple, also dont forget the equipment is insured so thats not so much the issue, but if the equipment gets kicked then its likely that the person is in the firing line too, sedation is as much safety for the handlers as anything and also in the long run less stressful on the horese, but twitchs are great things when used correctly