Possibly the silliest saddle question ever

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
All of my life I have had trouble finding a comfortable saddle. I have therefore, apart from 2, bought what fitted the horse not me.
The comfortable saddle some years ago was an Albion K2 gp which I had for my 14.2.
My latest horse has a saddle which fits both her and me.
It is a very elderly Albion Selecta.
BUT
Today friend picks up said saddle and says Sh..., that’s heavy.
Now I am feeling guilty.
Do I try to find a lighter saddle that fits us both?
Does anyone know if any later Albions use the Selecta tree?
Or do I leave well alone?
Thanks
Edit.. For various reasons I have little trust in most local saddlers.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Albion are quite heavy saddles but it will only be a couple of pounds or so. I would leave well alone unless you find the saddle really uncomfortable.
You could ask Albion about the selecta tree.

dixie

Visit site
If it’s not broke don’t fix it !

Sometimes it’s the other items that make it heavy too such as stirrup irons and seat savers, so might be worth looking at those if you want to lighten it a bit.

meleeka

Visit site
My saddle is heavier than I’d like but it’s perfect in all other ways. (It was MTM many years ago) If I could find a lighter version that fitted as well I would, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
My ideal VSD is definitely heavy, even more so with sprenger stirrups on it, fits though so don't care, other than walking it back up the hill to the house after a long day.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
If your horse is well muscled to carry a rider, your saddle fits as perfectly as possible, then for most people a couple of extra pounds on a saddle is probably less than the rider's weight fluctuates through the year. If you are hard up against the 20% of horses weight with a saddle then you do want to look at all the ways you can reduce the weight the horse is carrying.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Let's say your horse now weighs 425kg...so 20% is 85kg.

You weigh about 62kg, so you have 23kg to play with. Clothes, boots and tack usually come to around 11-12kg, so even if the Albion weighs an extra kg you've still got 10kg to spare.

phizz4

Visit site
Lift a western saddle and then think again about the weight of your Albion! Comfort for both you and the horse is FAR more important than worrying about a few kg here or there. Empty your pockets and go to the loo before you ride if you are still worried!

Meredith

Visit site
It would be easier for you to diet and lose a few pounds than to source a new saddle if you really think it's a problem.

😂😂😂Unfortunately can’t be done as doc says I am ideal weight for age and height

Let's say your horse now weighs 425kg...so 20% is 85kg.

You weigh about 62kg, so you have 23kg to play with. Clothes, boots and tack usually come to around 11-12kg, so even if the Albion weighs an extra kg you've still got 10kg to spare.

Yippee!

Leandy

Visit site
I have never even considered the weight of the saddle as being a relevant factor. If the weight of the saddle is the key to you being too heavy for your horse, then I think you need a horse capable of carrying more weight anyway! Having just looked at the picture you've posted, seriously, you are just fine. If the saddle fits, keep it.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Lift a western saddle and then think again about the weight of your Albion! Comfort for both you and the horse is FAR more important than worrying about a few kg here or there. Empty your pockets and go to the loo before you ride if you are still worried!

Many western horses are carrying way too much weight, like Icelandics - just because they do doesn't mean they should. A western saddle, by its very nature, spreads the weight further (which is why they don't work for English style dressage as they are not meant for work where the horse it truly bent around the leg, they extend too far), so can't be compared.

Meredith

Visit site
I have never even considered the weight of the saddle as being a relevant factor. If the weight of the saddle is the key to you being too heavy for your horse, then I think you need a horse capable of carrying more weight anyway! Having just looked at the picture you've posted, seriously, you are just fine. If the saddle fits, keep it.

I had not considered saddle weight before my friend’s comment.
I am not too heavy for my horse and that wasn’t why I asked. It was more that I could lessen the burden by the use of a lighter weight saddle.