Post Gelding Op swelling

joy

Visit site
I had my 4 year old gelded on Tuesday last, the vet was very pleased with the operation which went off without a hitch.
He did say the area would swell however should the swelling be the size of a rugby ball? The swollen area is the sheath only, the horse is very well in himself, has a good appetite, looks well, is living out, passing water and droppings quite normally. I asked the vet on Saturday for some more 'bute and he asked if the horse was well, eating, could he relax and retract his sheath, yes to all.
Am I reacting with unnecessary panic?

Fairynuff

Visit site
It should go down in a few days. I wouldnt worry about it unless he has difficulty peeing or the swelling spreads. Paolino didnt swell up much after his nip and tuck and he was back to normal two days later. He wasnt stitched, was yours? Mairi.

joy

Visit site
The vet clamped the major blood vessels and put a couple of stitches in as he said the 'colt' was very strong and thought he might open the wound getting up and down.

Fairynuff

Visit site
With only two stitches he will drain okay. In France, they used clamp the wound shut using clothes pegs!!!!!! Think of the added pain
ooo.gif
crazy.gif

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I would be wary having that much swelling 5 days after the op. It may be worth ringing your vet and speaking to them directly. If infection has got in you don't want it to get any worse.

Tia

Visit site
Sounds pretty normal to me. It can be quite disconcerting seeing the amount of swelling for the first time as you wouldn't believe how big it can get. So long as he is weeing and pooing okay and is draining well then he should be fine. Make sure that it isn't getting infected and he'll be just fine. The swelling tends to go down at about 10 days. Best way to tell if something is wrong is to sniff it (sorry
blush.gif
).

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Our horse had major problems after castration and had three courses of anti biotics then was hospitalised for two weeks[very expensive] they reoperated[said the original vet left it a bit long!]
We have had silly quotes for insurance [he is accident prone] since then so not insured.
His temperature went very high so take it each day and let him have a lot of freedom to move

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Trying to reconcile a rugy ball re size!
Ours are always gelded standing up under local and sedation. They don't get stitched or clamped and drain and recover well.
I would say they swell to a small melon size which reduces over ten day to nothing, all we do is puff wound powder and fly spray on them.
The amount of swelling depends in my opinion at how good your vet is at castrating. I've had horses done by many vets over the years and my current one is by far the most skilled.
Being outside affects the amount of swelling too, we choose a time of year when they can stay out which reduces the swelling by moving about.
It sounds reasonably normal to me, but if it doesn't go down within the next five days ask the vet to take a look.

joy

Visit site
Rugby ball/melon roughly the same size. There is no abnormal discharge, he hasn't bled since the operation and there is no smell, nor is his temperature abnormal. The vet was actually very pleased and it did seem a very slick operation with no wrestling to get any of the tissue removed. The horse couldn't care less so long as breakfast comes in the morning and supper arrives at night he seems fine. Maybe I am overreacting. I hope so.

squiff

Visit site
I've looked after many older horses who have had castrations that swell up. The older they are, the more likely they are to swell. Keep turned out if possible. Lunging at a TROT so that the swollen sheath bounces is ideal. Do this twice a day for ten mins and you'll really see a difference.

The majority of swollen cases will appear after about a week when people stop exercising them or think all's well. That's the crucial time.