Post images of all your Horse‘s Veterinary Conditions

StroppyMare*

Visit site
Does your horse lives out?? Have you tried any supplements??

She has wintered out up until 3 weeks ago when i bought her in a poor condition, since she has been stabled her legs just crusted right over and got progressively worse! shes on antibiotics at the minute to try and clear up the infection aswel as bute to take down the swelling and ease the pain,

ive not got her on any suppliments although ive been researching, mud gaurd has also been suggested?

i dont know how shes still sound off it!

TwoPair

Visit site
I had a horse come in with a face like this :

224596_250708311620248_100000432424009_905334_7541027_n.jpg

As you can see, v swollen face, with lots and lots of puffiness. Turns out was a small puncture wound, which went through his cheek, tear duct, sinus, and into the nasal cavity. Treated it as you would a puncture wound - anti-b's, cleaning the wound, Synulox injected into the wound, Danilon. Swelling went down, leaving large, bony lump on the nasal bone.

300837_273958852628527_100000432424009_990382_1881588538_n.jpg

This was then xrayed, revealing multiple hairline fractures.

395708_331445056879906_100000432424009_1176104_1792360084_n.jpg

407893_331445160213229_100000432424009_1176106_1274465385_n.jpg

374330_331445206879891_100000432424009_1176107_528430076_n.jpg

385157_331445246879887_100000432424009_1176109_477977940_n.jpg

405682_331445323546546_100000432424009_1176111_1262377281_n.jpg

You can see the fracture lines and new bone growth. There was some concern as he kept having nosebleeds and there was some opacity where it should be transparent (the nasal cavity.) It was referred to Rossdales who have quite simply said we won't know if the transparent object (whatever it is) will affect his breathing until stress is put on his wind. It's been rexrayed and there's been pretty much no improvement, so we've started the walk work but without a noseband as we don't want to irritate the fracture through compression or concussion. He will have it re-xrayed at the end of the month.

TwoPair

Visit site
The only explanation we can come up with is someone was lamping in the close vicinity (they do lamp IN the field too) and took an 'unsafe' shot. He's a pretty chilled boy so its quite plausible they could have got close enough to injure him with the air pellet without knowing if he was just outside of the lamping light. Our vet scoped him but its the actual nasal cavity that contains the opacity, and unfortunately a scope can't get in there

TwoPair

Visit site
Just re read my post and its meant to say rossdales can't figure out what the opacity is or if it'll hinder him, not the transparent object, duhhhh!

TraceyD

New User
Visit site
spotty-sidney005.jpg

spotty-sidney002.jpg

This pony is now 5 yrs, i had him from 6 months old. This year i broke him to harness and clipped him for the first time ever. He has never had this condition before. it began shortly after being clipped, and i put it down to an allergy from the clippers or oil. months later. No better. The lumps fluctuate in size. It began on the neck, then the belly and flanks, and today in the latest episode are now on even the unclipped area of his coat. You can feel them under his skin. They are soft swellings varying in size from pea size to swellings like you would get in a horse sensitive to fly bites. Now they are on his face, these have erupted and ooze yellow runny fluid, not puss though. they don't seem to irritate him, they have not caused itching, he is fine within himself. I thought allegy, i have changed his bedding, his food, his rugs one by one, all to no avail. i'm at a loss, can anyone help

After a few hours of internet research i have resolved this. I diagnosed his lumps as a condition called urticaria, the causes are numerous, however i looked very closely at analyzing the type of hay my horses are all on ( i had eliminated everything else) RYE hay! my eventer's wouldn't eat the meadow hay from my farmer this year. I pinned my theory on the fact that Rye hay is high in fructose, and that whilst the big breed horses coped with this. My little native pony's digestive system couldn't cope with the fructose and he became intolerant to it. I took him off Rye hay much to his disgust, put him back on meadow hay, and hey presto, or should that be hay presto... all his lumps have gone.

nadinek82

Visit site
picture.php

Severe low ringbone which is the result of a pedal bone fracture as a youngster. Jack is now 17 and to the vets amazement, only 2/10 lame when trotted up on a hard stoney surface.

Last edited:

JacerRacer

New User
Visit site
Wow! The horse in the algarve is awful, I would hazard a guess at either he has been stuck in some sort of bog, or he had been run over and dragged....did you ever find out what happened to him?

The elec fencing injuries are awful too! I cant imagine the horror!!! x

Hiya, just thought I'd post on here about her, as I didn't realise until now that any replies had come of it.
She was hidden by gypsies and I search for a week, spoke to all authorities and did all I could. I eventually bucked up the courage to go to the gypsy camp and try and buy her from them. Unfortunately (or fortunately in some way), the police and Camara vet went out that morning to take her away to try to help her, but as soon as the vet saw her, they knew she couldn't be saved so they put her down... :( No happy ending here, I'm afraid, except that she wasn't suffering any longer...

If anyone wanted to read the full story, it's on the blog I was writing at the time about moving my horse to Portugal: http://movingequus.wordpress.com/
Thanks to anyone who felt for her, she was only a baby and had obviously been in pain for most of her life.
Jess.

hoxne8

Visit site
my horse has sarocids. he had them when i bought him but because it is on his ear i was not bothered . :cool:

088.jpg

you can't treally see them for the hair but it is on lower right hand side of his ear

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Here you go - I found my horse with 100% coverage this morning. Not in the least bothered, ate all his breakfast and no apparent discomfort or itching. Looked very dramatic indeed. Checked with the vet who advised no action in this instance, but maybe give a 'bute' powder to assist reduction of swelling.

Hives4.jpg

Hives3.jpg

Hives2.jpg

Hives1.jpg

CeeBee

Visit site
Oh goodness, that is awful, really made my skin crawl!
However, this also happened to my old horse and it disappeared within a day or so, as quickly as it appeared :)

chunky11

Visit site
Wow that looks quite severe! Any other symptoms? Maybe Urticaria or an allergy to something, hopefully will go down and you wont see anymore of it but just be very careful, speaking from experience I had a bad time with this sort of thing - look more to Aloe Vera juice, Omega oils vit E to calm the immune response rather than bute :)

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Well, he's pretty much back to normal today! Went out in the sand school and rolled madly then jumped up, reared, bucked and set off galloping round like a maniac. That's quite usual for him, though. All he had was Piriton, and hardly any at that.

Tiffany

Visit site
Some unbelieveable injuries & diseases although fortunately some amazing recoveries :)

Made me cry seeing and reading about the youngster on the Algarve :(
Why would anyone want to treat an animal in that way and never get help?

SKY

Visit site
this looks like it was burnt, so so awful. the pain it was in, so unfair, people can get away with this.

I found this horse in the Algarve a few days ago. It unfortunately disappeared after a gypsy saw me taking an interest in it. I am doing everything I can to locate the horse. Wanted people to have a look at the photos as I have had an opinion from a vet from these photos and would also like to know if anyone's horses have had similar injuries in the past and if it was treatable.
injured-horse1.jpg

injured-horse21.jpg

injured-horse3.jpg

injured-horse4.jpg

injured-horse51.jpg

Evidently this hasn't come on over a day or two so this horse has probs been in pain for some time. It is very lame on its right hind and we believe it to be about a year old.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Kissing spines:

For those of you who are interested. Here are the before and after xrays of my horse's spine. In November he was diagnosed with ten spinal processes touching and had five of them removed:

Before 1
preop1.jpg

After 1:
postop1.jpg

Before 2:
preop2.jpg

After 2:
postop2.jpg

roloaimee

Visit site
420206_10150607080358021_503998020_9055031_2083998046_n.jpg

my horse was diagnosed 4 weeks ago with inflammatory bowel...

[/Ihttp://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/429435_10150607080953021_503998020_9055032_941607178_n.jpgMG]

this was him yesterday after 4 weeks of steroids...

if any one has any experience with this would be very happy if you would let me know of ur success stories please! im very un-optimistic!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Sarcoid, verrucous kind, right axilla. Successfully treated with Liverpool Cream:
DSC00082.jpg

Nodular type, also successfully treated with Liverpool Cream:
DSC000792-1.jpg

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Emergency colic surgery.
Small colon was coiled in unusual shape wrapped around some random tissue that shouldnt have been there, had been that way for a few years. Small intestine then inexplicably adhered to the colon and caused massive colic attack.
Vets opened him up, untangled the small colon, put everything back where it should be and so far things are going well.

Day after op - note all the blood down his legs.
chico24hours.jpg

7 days after op - bandage off (also note the sarcoid on his sheath that is at the end of Liverpool cream treatment)
Chicoscar050412.jpg

14 days after op
2wound2weekson.jpg

21 days after op
3Chicoincision3weekson.jpg

28 days after op
Chico4weekson.jpg

He is on his 5th week of box rest, 2 weeks to go.

chunky11

Visit site
http://chestofbooks.com/animals/horses/Health-Disease-Treatment-1/Anatomy-Of-Horse-s-Head.html

have a look at the anatomy of the horses head, it looks in line with glands, I would probably say from looking at it that it is glandular, especially if it is on the same sides - although glands can be affected singularly by infection or swelling as we know.
If there is no heat / swelling in them this would rule out infection and it is the body dealing with a small allergy, maybe to hay or the pollen in the grass, I wouldnt worry about it, Ive known horses to have similar, I would though, have a look at feeding herbs that help with lymph drainage and the immune system, Global herbs are very good, stick to natural, stay away from any steroids etc which can make things worse,

Hope that helps

chunky11

Visit site
How old is he? Does he have any under his tail? My 31 year old Arab has had melenomas under his tail for the past 12 years without bother, obviously yours are in a different place, how long have you had him for and has he always had them and have they grown larger since you have had him??

skn0404

Visit site
Hi def not grass glands as brought him in, much to his dismay, for over a week and now change except for the higher smaller of the two lumps getting bigger! I haven't noticed anything under his tail but will check fully tomorrow. I'm thinking thyroid or lymphoma :(. That pic is at least a year old maybe more so they're now bigger than in the pic. Ha d blood work done all fine, antibiotics made no difference and he didn't weather the winter well this year, lost his top line etc.. He's 15 and normally very well and hardy.

Last edited:

skn0404

Visit site
How old is he? Does he have any under his tail? My 31 year old Arab has had melenomas under his tail for the past 12 years without bother, obviously yours are in a different place, how long have you had him for and has he always had them and have they grown larger since you have had him??

Hi yes it's sort of like that but obviously lower down his neck and on each side they feel almost perfect circles and they don't really move. Vet said possibly an abscess but blood work showed no fighting of infection. It's concerns me as if it lymphnoma the other lymph nodes are much deeper on horses so can't be seen so easily and I also want to be able to ride but am worried about his breathing as last time he was worked, 20 mins walk & trot on the lunge, 2 days later he got really really ill and the vet was talking about putting him to sleep as he had a temp of 30 and pulse rate of 58 and was sweating up just standing in the stable :0( I just hate not knowing