Post images of all your Horse‘s Veterinary Conditions

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
TBH, I wouldn't even think of riding him, especially in view of his loss of condition, until you know what is causing these lumps. If he has any form of cancer, he will probably be feeling lousy. I really hope he is okay.

chunky11

Visit site
oh dear, so it is affecting him it seems.
The only way of really finding out is through biopsy, or perhaps a scan? Fluid will show up dark and dense masses are white so your vet may be able to differentiate??
If its cancer, in an animal there is very little to do other than end suffering, which, if you have ever seen a person suffer with cancer it is a blessing.
Its really hard but you have to do what is best for your horse, as heart breaking as it can be, ask your vets what steps to take next if you want to investigate it, its not always about the money either but sometimes its stressful for the horse being interfered with on the level of biopsies, and they hurt.

Enjoy your horse and keep him happy and let him be a horse, good luck x

skn0404

Visit site
Thanks all, I was leaning towards the conclusion it's some form of cancer and it may also explain why some days he won't even let me touch him. Hes got trust issues when stabled and is hugely head/ ear shy thanks to a previous owner twitching his ear in the stable so sending him to Newmarket for further testing and to have his head messed with is a definite no no as I know he just wouldn't cope with it. I think I know what I'm going to have to do but that doesn't make it any easier but he's such a sweet boy I'd rather he went while he's alert and happy than waiting for him to progress to a stage where he's in agony :(

chunky11

Visit site
What an idiot, it sounds like he is in the best hands now with someone who cares for his welfare above anything else, what else could a horse ask for?
Its really hard, I lost my 3 yo thoroughbred last year to an awful disease, he deteriorated in the space of 5 weeks before I had to make a very hard decision, it is never easy when you love your horses so much, he looks stunning just enjoy your time together and let him do the things he loves the most till the time comes, best wishes to you both x

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Please keep us informed of what they say in Newmarket. Is he going to Rossdales? Fingers crossed that it's nothing serious.

skn0404

Visit site
Thanks chunky11. Some people do some awful things and I have 2 boys who have been left very scarred by past owners mistreatment of them, they are thoroughly loved and spoilt now as a horse should be. Wagtail, he won't be going to Rossdales due to his head shyness as they'd have to dope him to within an inch of his life so it wouldn't be fair to him so I shall keep him with me as long as possible until I can bring myself to make the call which will probably be sooner rather than later as the thought of him in the field feeling unwell makes me feel unwell and as I love him dearly I will do what's right for him not what's right for me. Thank you all for your input, hope you and your four legged friends all stay happy and healthy x

Jesstickle

Visit site
Here we are. A lovely foreign body response which resulted in surgery :)

The original wound

thewound.jpg

after a good three months we still had this. Note the wound is still not healed. This is the day it was x-rayed and scanned. Nothing to see on x-ray but very small foreign body visible on scanning. At this point the lump was still very solid and vet was reticent to operate as it was all still very 'attached' and there was fear it would be hard to excise without disrupting tendons and blood vessels

afterscanbeforeop2.jpg

afterscanbeforeop.jpg

so therapeutic ultrasound from the physio began to try and disrupt it slightly which got us to this point. The lump visibly much more seperate, slight discharge from the wound and much less solid when palpated

justbeforeopweepingagain.jpg

so off we went to surgery :)

bandageone2.jpg

silly beast had a reaction to the bandage so it had to come off very early

DSC02856.jpg

DSC02862.jpg

pressure sore pictures below (not vet's fault, she is incredibly sensitive!)

DSC02861.jpg

staples and stitches out she came home

300206_652830752635_285400682_5930614_424048617_n.jpg

Image0452.jpg

once it stopped discharging she was allowed out but then had a reaction to her dissolvable stitches

aftersurgeryandmidvicrylreaction.jpg

but eventually it all subsided and it's nearly normal now :)

November.jpg

Jesstickle

Visit site
That's right Chunky. The fact that it was swollen was never really problematic.She wasn't ever lame or even sore on it but it just wouldn't heal. It was nearly 5 months old by the time she went for the op and it would steal open up and weep from time to time.

This was last summer as a 3yo. She's in work now with no lasting problems thankfully. Weirdly she was never sick or sorry about it. Even straight out of surgery she was her usual chipper self. Just took it all in her stride!

chunky11

Visit site
Thats good, I watched an op last week with a horse that had initially had an abcess but 3 months later it was still very angry looking, when he started to debride the wound we found calcified granulation tissue, the wound would never be able to heal with that inside it, upon reading more about it apparently as time goes on the wound becomes more alkaline so calcifies and doesnt heal because wounds that heal well are more acidic.... intresting hey!

Visit site
spotty-sidney005.jpg

spotty-sidney002.jpg

This pony is now 5 yrs, i had him from 6 months old. This year i broke him to harness and clipped him for the first time ever. He has never had this condition before. it began shortly after being clipped, and i put it down to an allergy from the clippers or oil. months later. No better. The lumps fluctuate in size. It began on the neck, then the belly and flanks, and today in the latest episode are now on even the unclipped area of his coat. You can feel them under his skin. They are soft swellings varying in size from pea size to swellings like you would get in a horse sensitive to fly bites. Now they are on his face, these have erupted and ooze yellow runny fluid, not puss though. they don't seem to irritate him, they have not caused itching, he is fine within himself. I thought allegy, i have changed his bedding, his food, his rugs one by one, all to no avail. i'm at a loss, can anyone help
this happened to 3 horses in our yard, antibiotics cleared it up, vet said either bitten by infected flies or eaten something dodgy. n the lumps didnt come back :) hope it clears up for you too

SO1

Visit site
This small graze and swelling is actually a broken splint bone, my pony was only 1/10th lame in trot.

homeyjuly12002.jpg

homeyjuly12001-1.jpg

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I had two yearlings turned out with two empty brood mares. Normally if the weather is hot and the flies bad I bring them inside but Thursday was a heavy day and I left them out. Checked first thing and all were OK.
Went to check them when I was walking the dogs and saw that one had a 'nasty' gash along his side. Nothing I could do at that point so hurried home, put dogs away, called vet. No reply on his cell phone so left message and called surgery, so they could alert him on the radio.
Vet calls back immediately to say he was 45 minutes away - that was fine.
Brought the horses in. They had moved from the top of the field and were all grazing at the bottom.

This was a prize injury. After they were in and waiting the vet I went to see if what he did it on could be found. Didn't take a lot of looking. They had the run of two fields. The gate was tied back but I think that the flies had driven them bonkers and they had galloped through the gate he had caught his side on the staple gate latch (first picture) This was pulled out of the gatepost one side and the other was at a right angle so the fitment was flat against the post.
He had not caught himself on the piece that actually catches the gate but on the rounded side.

The rest are pictures of the injury.

20120808_1292.jpg

20120808_12842.jpg

20120808_12872.jpg

This was how high he went under the skin. The while to the right is a floating rib, now removed.

20120808_1289.jpg

20120808_12932.jpg

20120808_12942.jpg

china

Visit site
Ouch that looks awful!! Iv seen a pony injur itselfs on a gate latch but rather than going along, it went in an made an enormous puncture wound. Two ponies were being led in together and going through the gate onto the yard they had a scrap and one jumped to the side onto the gate latch! So easily done!

Rosehip

Visit site
Wow! that is some wound! Im very impressed with the vets handywork too...are the drain tubes there to hold the skin together? Looks very neat afterwards!

Fingers crossed for a good patient and a quick recovery!!x

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Yes, the tubes were stitched in hoping that it would stop the wound from breaking open - it didn't work! He just swelled to much and it has all broken down.

I will say he is being a wonderful patient - if it is to sore he just swishes his tail and lifts a leg but nothing more.

I was slathering it in Manuka Honey but the flies and wasps were terrible so have resorted to using pure Neem Oil. I was astounded how much better it was looking this morning after using it once. The other great benefit is that it keeps the flies away

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I found this horse in the Algarve a few days ago. It unfortunately disappeared after a gypsy saw me taking an interest in it. I am doing everything I can to locate the horse. Wanted people to have a look at the photos as I have had an opinion from a vet from these photos and would also like to know if anyone's horses have had similar injuries in the past and if it was treatable.
injured-horse1.jpg

injured-horse21.jpg

injured-horse3.jpg

injured-horse4.jpg

injured-horse51.jpg

Evidently this hasn't come on over a day or two so this horse has probs been in pain for some time. It is very lame on its right hind and we believe it to be about a year old.

Having just seen photos on the Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust on FaceBook I wonder if this youngster has got Ezootic Lymphangitis - the wounds are so very similar.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/gambiahorseanddonkey

Chief55

Visit site
Can somebody tell be exactly how to post pics on here? I am judt dumb I guess! I have them in my album on H&H but cant figure out how to post on this forum!! Thanks!!

caramel

Visit site
Cut on left hock, caused by a kick in the field. No pics of when he first did it, it was a good 2 inches (ish) deep, and just went through the skin. Hock still swollen, vet back next week to reassess.

530133_4001062699525_1074335401_n.jpg

herring

Visit site
Hi Aimee, how did Rolo get on? I do hope he is recovering. We had a racehorse diagnosed with diverticulitis that we very nearly lost & it took him a good 2 years to be out of the woods: linseed & Aloe Vera are miracle workers for these things & also brewers yeast & lacto bacillus probiotics. Simple System feeds work brilliantly for it & they do a Herbal Recovery supplement that also helped my mare when she almost died from gastroenteritis as a foal. Please let us know how he is. All the best x

Last edited:

StroppyMare*

Visit site
After a kick in the field.. Being treated at home as leahurst wasnt an option recovering well, tendons exposed and vulnerable to infection within the fluid/sheath.. No lameness yet hoping all tendon damage and nerve damage has been narrowly escaped, anyone had anything similar?

DAY 1
GASH1.jpg

DAY 2
GASH2.jpg

DAY 5
GASH3.jpg