Post laminitis

majors

Visit site
How long after your horse was sound after laminitis did you ride them. We are going to speak to the vet on Monday but just wondered if anyone had experience, thanks

Reactions: DD

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
It depends on the severity of the attack. My Connie had very mild laminitis and was only lame for two weeks, was sound for another three weeks but still on box rest and then spent 10 days swimming. Once home he started to walk and trot on soft ground only and is now being ridden three times a week but is out and has no problems galloping around the field. He does have silicone infills between the foot and the shoe to help support the sole and cushion concussion and has X-rays booked for the start of October to make sure everything is ok.

Hope that gives you some idea of timescales.

holeymoley

Visit site
You need to go with your vets advice. It depends on the severity as said above.

Mine had serious rotation which was fixed by an amazing farrier over a period of 6months. He had 7 months ‘off’ from the start to the end. By month 4 he was sound so was able to be walked out in hand, and I done this for 3 months. In month 7 with his last xrays which proved the rotation had been fixed, and he was still sound, he got the go ahead to be brought back in to ridden work.

Generally I believe they need the same length of time off the bute that they were on it for. Mine was on and off bute for 15weeks. He unfortunately had seromas emerge once we thought we’d got him comfy. 15 weeks later he got the go ahead.

honetpot

Visit site
Mine came back off loan with it, she was 100kg over weight, which as she was doing PC I find really hard to understand.
I box rested long after she was sound, fortunately she had a companion as she did not seem to mind. I gave her six months off and she had a serious diet, wintered out with no rugs and a bit of hay.
I suppose it depends why they hAve laminitis, if you are going to prevent further attacks it’s eliminating the cause, hers was just too much to eat.

Britestar

Visit site
Mine was extremely ill and got toxic L in all four feet. He was in for 11 months, and was finally ridden 18 months later.

Still going strong 5 years later.

vmac66

Visit site
Mine had mild lami in May. 6 days of bute and 2 weeks box rest. She was sound and we started 5 mins in hand grazing for a, couple of weeks upping it a bit each day. In total she had 6 weeks off being ridden. She was very overweight so on the advice of vet and farrier got her back into work ASAP. She's back in full work now and has lost 70 kilos.

majors

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies, so lovely to hear of the recoveries. Mine had pads in all round and only mild rotation. He is 17 so happy to retire if needed but he is so well in himself, bossing around his feild mate we thought we would ask the vet. He was lame for three months, sound for two 😀😀🐴🐴🐴

lar

Visit site
Obviously it's with your vets advice but I think a general rule of thumb is once sound don't ride for the same amount of time they were lame - so in your case you're probably looking at another month off. My boy was 19 when he first got lami, came sound and then had another bout a year later - actually caused by a massive abscess that brewed underneath his silicone inserts so be careful of those - but recovered to stay sound and in work for another 8 years. I retired him two years ago for other reasons but he's never had lami since. So no need to necessarily think retirement just yet.

majors

Visit site
Thankyou lar that’s very interesting because the farrier, who is first class thought he had a abscess behind, 2 days later he was very bad with laminitis. Only had pads in front then 😀