Post lockdown head funk

katastrophykat

Visit site
Just wondered if this was just me, or if others also felt the same-
I’ve been driving my little boys on and off last year as a pair.

They’ve been in and out of work for a variety of reasons, but they’re both sound and raring to go- they enjoy their work as a pair, or as singles.

They’re easy to do, easy to manage… but I just can’t *quite* bring myself to make competition plans for them. My head just isn’t ‘there’ yet. I don’t know if it’s the travel out of area (all of my driving is out of area…), me feeling not ready or something that I can’t quite put my finger on, but it’s causing me to be a bit start/stop with them as I have nothing to aim them at yet despite making plans in my head, I don’t think I’m ready to put the forms in.

We’re not new competitors, though this is a new turnout, but I won’t see how they cope until I actually get my backside out!

Anyone else feeling like me?

vmac66

Visit site
Know how you feel. I've got a, couple of dressage tests booked at the end of the month but I'm just not feeling it. Really need to get my backside into gear.

misst

Visit site
I think it is the stop start of everything. Getting hopes up then dashed down again - not just horse related, but weddings, holidays, family stuff. I'm not feeling anything.
I also think we spent last year saying "when this is over I will do x y z" - but it is kind of never over - so when do we start. I think a lot of people are feeling like this.

Bernster

Visit site
Yes similar here, with social life and horse life. Haven’t got into the swing of things yet. Would booking lessons or hire get you back into it? I’m feeling a bit rusty to get out to a comp but if I book one that would kick off the prep I need, but have to say I’ve not really made the effort to search for stuff. It’s fine though, there’s no push to do anything and I suspect you’ll get there when you’re ready. If you’re thinking about it, that might be the start of your comeback ?

Roxylola

Visit site
Yeah and some of what I've entered has been cancelled with weather. It all just feels a bit like it's going to come crashing down if I book anything

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I did loads last summer but I don’t feel the same enthusiasm for it this year. The horses came out of the winter very trim and fit and I was raring to go but human injury (non horse related) and general apathy has now ensued. I even scrubbed the trailer inside and out in anticipation and it’s hasn't moved a cm since. I think everyone is totally fed up with Covid and the stop start, should we, shouldn’t we, where as last summer we weren’t quite so pandemic jaded.

Flame_

Visit site
My horse has matured into a more fantastic dude than I ever could have hoped for.

He's also shown some signs of less than perfect health (sarcoid removed last year, needing physio, foot balance issues, etc.)

I am terrified of damaging him or of shortening his sound, working, comfortable life at all.

I'm also very resistant to the idea of transporting him on any smart motorways which is problematic for getting to a lot of potential outings.

After two recent wonderful fun rides the voice in my head is screaming "quit while you're ahead and just put him back in the field before you do something stupid and end up breaking or killing him".

atropa

Visit site
I'm actually the opposite. I did nothing last year, horse or otherwise, so have been raring to go this year. Had my first outing last weekend and have two more booked for the end of the month, plus always looking for the next thing to plan. So enjoying being back out while I can be.

Marigold4

Visit site
My horse has matured into a more fantastic dude than I ever could have hoped for.

He's also shown some signs of less than perfect health (sarcoid removed last year, needing physio, foot balance issues, etc.)

I am terrified of damaging him or of shortening his sound, working, comfortable life at all.

I'm also very resistant to the idea of transporting him on any smart motorways which is problematic for getting to a lot of potential outings.

After two recent wonderful fun rides the voice in my head is screaming "quit while you're ahead and just put him back in the field before you do something stupid and end up breaking or killing him".

I completely feel like this with my five year old. Taking everything at a snail's pace. Had a scare with high liver enzymes with all 3 in March - now coming back down nicely though. Never found a reason. Now I feel if he's alive and happy and we can just pootle around, that's enough! I really need a boot up the backside.

katastrophykat

Visit site
Well, it would seem I was right to feel uncertain.

I think this counts as the false starts to beat all false starts so far. Wagon loaded, ponies ready to bath, shopping bought and everyone organised to give up their weekends for me… then as I’m about to leave the house to do the last bit of food shopping before bathing and loading the ponies, My Daughter’s school calls and advises that she’s potentially been in contact with someone on Tuesday who’s since tested positive for COVID and to come get her to Self Isotate for ten days.

So that’s that.

No Hopetoun for us.

I had a backup team of 6 planning a weekend away with us- they’ve all taken it in good heart. I know it’s the right thing to do but I’m still gutted!

Try again next month.

PSD

Visit site
I get how you feel. I just can’t seem to find the get up and go to get out competing again. I did a show earlier this year and just didn’t get the same buzz I usually get