Post-PSD neurectomy/fasciotomy operation care - what to expect?

BeckyD

Visit site
Ronnie has a provisional nod from the insurers to go ahead with treatment for bilateral PSD. He will be operated on on Tuesday 19th May - and I don't really know what to expect afterwards. Please could people who have been through this before give me some idea of what will happen when I bring him home - bandaging, box-rest length, rehab exercise plans, just general experiences please. I'm feeling anxious and unable to plan (and I'm a bit OCD with planning things).

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks x

lensmith7

Visit site
I know how you feel. Josie had the op yesterday!

Been to see her and apart from a great big bandage you'd never know.

Bright and breezy and eating like nothing happened.

Hope everything goes well for you and Ronnie x x

BeckyD

Visit site
Ah fantastic glad to hear Josie is on the mend and made it through
smile.gif

When are you taking her home?

angiebaby

Visit site
My pony was in horsepital for 6 days; Stabled for two weeks (he doesn't do box rest very well)I was supposed to start walking in hand after that, but he had other ideas and galloped around the village!

The vet suggested to put him out onto a very very small paddock and either leave him for a couple of months ( which I did) or carry on with box rest for another 2 weeks.

I could have ridden him much earlier, but I chose to field rest him for 6 months, then start ridden work.

He became sound as a pound and after 6 weeks building up walk to an hour a day, started trotting. No schooling or cantering for three months, but when he did, boy he was very forward!!
This was nearly 19 months ago and he's still as good as new! Good luck
smile.gif

BeckyD

Visit site
Hello - thanks for telling me about your boy! What kind of surface did you have to do the walking on? When you say every day, do you mean literally every day or several times a week? I'm going to have to fit in rehab around work, which is why I'm fretting!

angiebaby

Visit site
Hi,
Road work only to build up the strength in his legs, I didn't go into the school for nearly three months.

I rode him every day for the first 3/4 weeks then he had a day off a week until he was fairly fit ( around three months) then he just had random days off when I didn't feel like riding!

BeckyD

Visit site
Oh dear - I was afraid you were going to say roadwork - I'm a bit phobic of roads (too many near misses) but then I think the roads round me are fairly quiet and at least it's the right time of year to be doing it. Might need a bit of ACP though - poor lad's been in 6-7 months already! I will definitely be able to do 6 days a week, although 7 could be a problem but then maybe I could ride before work.

Thanks again, that's a real help. Glad to hear of your success story!

lensmith7

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ah fantastic glad to hear Josie is on the mend and made it through
smile.gif

When are you taking her home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for taking ages to reply.

Josie is home and doing amazingly well. She'son box rest for 2 weeks, she's allowed out to the nearest tie up point though.

Then W3-4 is wlaking in hand for 15mins twice a day.

She'll then have a scan and I guess I'll be told what she can/cant do next according to the results.

_jetset_

Visit site
I keep meaning to put a reply but every time I sit down to do it, I get diverted
blush.gif

Grace underwent four weeks of complete box rest. The furthest she went was from one side of her box to another and sometimes I tied her up outside while I put new shavings in (she has an issue with this for some reason).

After the four weeks I could start walking her for 15 minutes a day. I gave her a whacking great load of Sedalin before doing this as I did all my walking under saddle due to the further complication of colic surgery scarring. In hand she was just an absolute loon (by this point she had been on box rest over six months) so it was safer for everyone, including her, to do it under saddle. I would never have done this without my surgeon's full consent though.

I could not do road work with her because she is not good in traffic, but my vet assured me that as long as I took it very slowly, the surface in the arena was good enough to withstand the work. I increased the amount of walk work over a period of four weeks and then on week five after a check up, we started doing 12 long sides of trot per session (my walking was up to 40 minutes by this point).

BeckyD

Visit site
Thank you so much for that - I feel more prepared now for the post-op events!

I remember Grace getting colic and being very worried for her! She seems to be doing really well now though (touch wood); you must be so relieved.