post yard move tips

parsley

Visit site
Hopefully it will be about 1.5 weeks before I move my two to their new yard. I was thinking (worrying) about it today - mainly
how will they react to new environment (i.e. will they have a personality change and turn into scary, unridable horses)
will they get on with the other new horses (i.e. will they get kicked, bitten and bullied half to death)
and I'm still scared of the idea of a new YO and loads of liveries.

Do any of you have any tips for settling them down etc?
frown.gif

I have at least sorted out that farrier and vet visit that yard

Rhodey

Visit site
Speak to the people at your current yard or the new one. There sure to have loads of tips for you as they deal with it all the time. Just a suggestion.

parsley

Visit site
I'm the only livery at the current yard. I just wondered if there was anything I should be doing now

S_N

Visit site
Get some coligone - I did!
grin.gif
I'm moving mine on Monday
ooo.gif
Hector's NEVER been in ANY other field
ooo.gif
ooo.gif
*SN nervously bites finger nails*

parsley

Visit site
Will it work for people as well?

At least my two have lived elsewhere - my son's pony has lived a lot of elsewhere by the look of his passport. Will Hector be in with other horses?

S_N

Visit site
Not initially no, just him and B, but there is a chance that a retired 14hh pony will join them at some point - pony is only 11yrs old, but has been retired due to hock problems

JAK

Visit site
I'm sure they'll be fine, honestly!
smile.gif

I'm afraid all of mine are terribly dull & whether new arrivals or just moving yards, have simply walked into their new stables, turned round, had a wee & said "Right, where's the grub kept then?"
laugh.gif

Have everything ready for them at the new place, inc. water, hay etc. (perhaps a Snak-a-Ball if they like them!), so they can just walk straight into their new stables, have a widdle & start munching! LOL
If they're going straight out, they'll have each other for company anyway, won't they?

I know you'll be excited but just try & keep it all fairly low-key & a bit ho-hum if anything, so they don't get too wound up by it all!
smile.gif

parsley

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm afraid all of mine are terribly dull & whether new arrivals or just moving yards, have simply walked into their new stables, turned round, had a wee & said "Right, where's the grub kept then?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so!!!! I keep having visions of that mare I bought a year ago who seemed OK when I bought her but changed completly when I moved her home (although falling off didn't help her). I suppose I just have to keep in mind that Bomber isn't like that (although the trouble is I don't know this as I have never moved him
crazy.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
I know you'll be excited

[/ QUOTE ]

I am really excited about being able to pop and see them whenever I want (within reason) - I have timed the trip and its only 4 minutes
cool.gif
so I can look after them myself at last
laugh.gif

JAK

Visit site
Bomber will be fine - Bomber is a cob!

Shove a bucket of food in front of him & you could happily move him to the ruddy moon if you wanted to!
grin.gif

If either of them is going to have a 'dolly out the pram moment', it'll be the small Welsh thing, I'd put money on it! LOL

parsley

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
'dolly out the pram moment', it'll be the small Welsh thing

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - I am 99% certain he will!!!! However, I can cope with this as if he gets really silly when I ride him I just sit down in the saddle a bit - which generally makes him think twice about misbehaving further
grin.gif

I sometimes think that Bomber doesn't really notice if I try to sit down on him a bit more - which would be worrying if he decided to be silly and throw his action man out of the pram

ruscara

Visit site
Marius is quite sensitive and can get very anxious. I have moved him, erm, six times, and at no time has he behaved 'badly'. A couple of times he has moved with a horsey friend, as yours will do, which has helped. Don't forget, your horses will have each other and their humans at the new yard. I believe you will find that they will both be fine, and you need not have worried.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Honestly, dont worry! the old hall seems to have a massive calming effect on the neds, it did with mine anyway! YO is fantastic and flexible, and yours will be in their own field (i think) just chill, be yourself and you will fit right in!
Sarah xXx

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Try not to worry, they'll be fine.

Just moved mine and he's settled straight away. Yes, he's got one hell of a bite on the saddle patch but horses are horses. They're still sorting out the hierarchy and my horse who is used to being right at the top is now firmly at the bottom! He's made one friend but is still sorting things out with the others.

I actually think we worry a lot more than they do. You just have to take step back and let him sort himself out.

As for you, just be yourself, be friendly etc and I'm sure they'll all love you! Ask lots of questions about the other horses, people love talking about their horses (that's why this forum is so big!
wink.gif
). You'll be fine, try to think of it as an adventure!
grin.gif

Capriole

Visit site
im moving mine up to my new house 3 hourrs away when i can get transport. im relly worried too, because my horse has been known jump out of new stables and fields, until he's settled. i cant stable him until he's calmed down or he'll just come over the door.