Potential neck issues/wobblers/something else?

emfen1305

Visit site
I have been back and forth about posting this, partly because all of the professionals I have spoken to have said not to worry but sadly that is just not in my nature.

My cob has been coming back into gentle work after his navicular diagnosis and treatment (walk hacks a few times a week, some in hand work in the arena) and he's doing great, he feels really good. I had the physio to him at the weekend just to make sure he felt OK after the time off and treatment etc and I mentioned a couple of things with his head position and wondered whether he might have neck issues. She did a couple of simple tests like asking him to back up with his head in different positions and thought potentially there might be something going on given some other indicators but not to worry at the moment as he was sound and happy in work and reassess if anything changes.

I have been doing a lot of reading on wobblers and not sure whether he fits the bill as his only "issues" are that he over uses his back legs (he steps quite high with them) and he doesn't quite lift his feet up when backing up in the stable (someone did suggest wobblers when I posted about his messy bed but I discounted it as the vet hadn't mentioned anything). He is fine backing up in straight lines, fine up and down hills, even fairly steep ones at somerford, and is resistant when I pull his tail at walk, I did the feet test as well and he moved them fine, he can get up and down OK and is fine with his carrot stretches. His canter is fine, bit weaker on the right side but that's his "bad side". I have had him 2 years and seen videos of him as young as 6 and his leg movement hasn't changed (he's always high stepped) and my physio's opinion is that nothing has changed since she's been seeing him (around 6 times in the time i've had him)

So my question is, I have a claim open with navicular and I am in that zone of fixing things so do I pursue this with the vets who I do think will be resistant to it unless I push or do I leave alone and enjoy the horse I have in front of me at the moment and then wait to see if/when it gets worse? My ambitions for him are low level dressage (up to novice, maybe to affiliate) and hacking, fun rides, clinics etc and have no interest in jumping. Any advice greatly received!

Hack4fun

Visit site
Wobblers does not seem straightforward to me. It needs expertise to diagnose and then a definitive test with neurological imaging. Horses that are out of balance can show signs that suggest wobblers but without having the condition in my view - I am not a vet though!!!! I would concentrate on the navicular, bringing him back into work, building up muscle and strength to address his balance and monitor the situation. If you see a change then maybe consider raising with the vet. Avoid scaring yourself. Decide that you will consult a vet if you see any change. That's my opinion but social media is full of bad advice!