Potential sharer for dressage horse

Balibee

Visit site
I have a query for all you CR Riders :)

I am due to get back in the saddle again in a few weeks after another few months off (due to a arthritic condition I have) Because of the problems I have had before I am probably being pessimistic but it is likely that I will have the same problems again. I am so lucky as my best friend is keeping him going for me at the moment but this is not a long term solution as she has other commitments.

If my back and neck are unable to cope with the riding I think I will have to go down the sharer route as I don't want to sell/loan him.

He is a cracking 17hh 6yr old BWB by catherston Springsteen who would easily take someone to advanced dressage.

I would be offering unlimited access to riding/competing etc where the only financial commitment would be to have regular lessons and pay for any competitions etc. There would also be no stable duties involved, literally just riding.

Is this the kind of arrangement that would appeal to a serious dressage rider?

i would appreciate any advice as just testing the water to see if it would possibly work out.

Tempi

Visit site
Wow - wish you were nearer to me!!

I would personally ask for some kind of monthly contribution even if its only a small amount to go towards shoes, any vets bills etc. Also make sure you have a solid written agreement drawn up aswell.

I will be looking for a sharer for my dressage mare (shes more a schoolmistress type though at 18yrs old) come Christmas time once she is back in work (shes just had a foal) and I will be asking for around £100 - £150 a month for riding 3-4times a week but i will take the right person out to competitions on her, they will be able to compete when they want, take her for lessons with trainers, and have unlimited lessons with myself. The same as you there are no stable duties required - the yard she is kept on has immaculate excellent facilities and isnt cheap, very well run etc.

ETA - Im currently riding a rising 7yr old by Springsteen at the moment and shes absolutly beautiful, one of the most talented horses ive sat on.

Balibee

Visit site
Thanks for your reply :) I wish you were nearer me too!!!

My friend who rides my horse for me says she feels like Carl Hester when she rides him so Springsteen has some magical genes :)

Maybe I should ask for a small contribution. I would definitley get a legal agreement drawn up.

Also if I did have to go the sharer route, I would want a potential shaer to have an evaluation lesson with an instructor to make sure they are the right person for him rather than just turn up to try the horse out? Woudl that be offensive to an experienced rider? I know I wouldn't be offended by that but having never been in this situation before I am a bit in the dark.

Tempi

Visit site
Your horse is obviously quite talented so i think you are right to ask for an evaluation. I ride for other people and ive been asked a few times to provide references which i have got from my trainers at the time or from a judge etc.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
WOWSA. What you're offering is AMAZING! You'll have people biting your blumin' hand off!!!

No, an experieced person would understand the reason for having a lesson with your instructor. Totally neccesary IMO. If they get offended would they really be the type of person you want as a sharer?!

Good luck with finding someone :)

Balibee

Visit site
Thanks for all of your advice. It makes total sense. I will no doubt have many more questions if this does seem like it's the way to go so I appreciate your help.

I can't bear the thought of him going anywhere :( so seems like this could be the best situation :) should the worst happen.

Baileysno1

Visit site
When I was pregnant I advertised my boy for share on the BD classifieds a local judge took the ride as he wanted to upgrade and needed to train and compete at medium level, as the others have said I got a contract in place and took a small contribution there were no stable jobs, worked brilliantly and we both got what we wanted. I really enjoyed playing groom and going along to clinics and shows.

At the moment my horse is with a friend and I have a nice ride in the next village (owner pregnant) I just ride him twice a week and can compete as I please, plan to take him out on a ticket and if he scores as well as expected will pay for his registration and do some BD. I had a trial with her trainer and we have a similar riding 'style' the set up works I no longer have the time or money to run my own horse and compete so it's a perfect compromise.

The BD forumn is a good place to enquire and your region may have a FB page (the Norther one definately does) and its worth posting on there too.