Potential yard move - opinions?

Starlight22

Visit site
Hello! I live in a very built up area and keep my horse 15 minutes from home. Yard is the only suitable one for my two horses within 10 miles as it offers grass livery.

I currently pay £75 per week to keep them both there. I have a shelter, just under 1/2 an acre, small school, poor hacking (but you can access the beach, but a bit dangerous to hack down there) trailer parking, it is a very busy livery yard, keeps expanding and doesn’t really suit me I feel anymore.

A private yard 22 miles away (just reach the green belt and the beautiful downs if I go this far) is £20 a week cheaper livery(not really a big factor) diesel may be £35 per week. Over an acre with smaller shelter, large school, very quiet, very good hacking. Potential trailer parking. Pretty much fell in love with the chilled out atmosphere. How far is too far for you? I’ve kept them 15 miles away before and was ok, would rather them be closer but I drive all over the county for work so I think I’ll be fine.

ive had lots of family opinions but would love a different one!! Wouldn’t be able to try out new yard and go back if I didn’t like it due to some of the liveries hating me (I get called fat and an easy target so not the best atmosphere tbh but I get on with it)

many thanks ! ?

Arzada

Visit site
Tough one when the potential new yard sounds so much better. My decision would be decided on how many times a day I would visit the horses. I've done that distance for one visit a day. I wouldn't do it for 2 visits per day except for emergencies, medical treatment etc

Afon_34

Visit site
How many times a day would you be doing that journey?
I’ve recently moved from a yard that was 2 mins from house to one that 18 miles away! But I now only do it one end of the day & new yard is lovely & so much better atmosphere so definitely worth it for me!

Starlight22

Visit site
I visit my horses once a day, both yards have options of someone checking/doing things the other end of the day ? the nasty people don’t really bother me but I’m not keen on the unfriendly atmosphere to be honest and not sure if it’ll just get worst with expansion! X

Sleipnir

Visit site
The new yard sounds so much more suitable for your needs! I'd jump at the opportunity - it's worth the time spent on road, if you and the horse are happier.

For statistics: I recently moved my horses from a yard that was near home, but very toxic, to a yard that's 76 miles away: that's roughly 1.5 hours of driving in one direction. Not regretting the move even the slightest bit - both horses are pleased and I, in turn, can finally relax and enjoy my time with them!

Starlight22

Visit site
The potential yard is 14 miles from my partners house where I stay during the week sometimes - but a drive through the city. Perhaps I need to relocate myself! Thank you so much for your replies!

Arzada

Visit site
I visit my horses once a day, both yards have options of someone checking/doing things the other end of the day ? the nasty people don’t really bother me but I’m not keen on the unfriendly atmosphere to be honest and not sure if it’ll just get worst with expansion! X
In that case I would definitely move. Let us know how you get on

wiglet

Visit site
The new yard sounds better and you obviously liked the look of it.
The consideration for me would be what is the drive there like? 22 miles on straight and quiet roads will be an enjoyable drive. If the 22 miles involves lots of traffic, road works and built up areas, it won’t be as easy...

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I can understand why you want to move but 20 miles was too far for me when my horse was on part-livery so I didn’t even need to go every day. I know many people commute that distance and more daily but it wasn’t for me especially during the winter driving up after work. I was the only person up there in the evening so it was lonely too. That winter was a particularly snowy one and I couldn’t get there for a few days. The last straw was when mine colicked and I just felt he was too far away. Lack of trust in the yard owner was an additional factor. I’m now on DIY 5 miles away takes 10 minutes and been there over a decade.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I've been 20 miles away in order to get the right set up for a tricky mare. It took 30mins ish as it was all dual carriageway, which helped. Its doable but it does get very wearing. Its a nightmare to get home and realise you have forgotten something, or the horse needs you, and you have to head back. It was worth it for me at the time, but I only did 3 months till something closer came up.

Visit site
If you can spare the time travelling I think being at a place that you can feel comfortable will make a huge difference to how you enjoy your time with your horses. The place you are currently in sounds awful, nobody should have to suffer bullying, it makes it worse that you're paying for the privilege of being abused.

Starlight22

Visit site
Thank you for your replies gives me good things to think about!

Yes half an acre if that… I’m in a very expensive part of the country unfortunately! If I go any closer to home I don’t have hacking… I do have a trailer but taking her over and struggling to park for an hours hack is a bit tiring too, i have a few fields to ride round at the current yard but very pedestrianised

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
the better hacking would do it for me. i once travelled and hour each way when i needed specific conditions for mine. it only lasted for 3 months as i lost her but she had a good 3 months on good level grazing which i couldnt find locally so i was prepared to do the journey and my friend was the yard manager so i knew my horse was in safe hands... after about 3 days the journey didnt seem so long and i got used to it, it may be because i was previously used to an hours journey to work every day and just got on with it.