Visit site
I'm rather embarrassed to ask this

But can someone explain the reasons for poulticing and how to poultice

I'm asking incase I ever need to do it

Please don't shout at me

kick_On

Visit site
You can do a couple of types cold, hot or dry
Normally a poultic draws out any puss or inflection. Normally used for puss in foot.
Basic rules are not to wet poultic to long, if in foot max two day.Change at least twice a day. You can dry poultic longer, but what you really want is wound to be dry and clean and so soon asap you can let fresh air get to wound. Puss in foot normally best to have horse stabled. (but you maybe doing this under vets orders, but go with what they suggest)
If you need to do a poultic, see if some you know can show how to do one.
I would suggest that you a have old plastic biscult box full of this stuff just in case:
Animal lintimex-this is poulticing material
smallest nappy or one that fit horses feet
carpet tape-for sercuring nappy to foot, making a water proof boot
clean syring tube (with out NEEDLE)
tee towels cheapest one you can buy-for cutting up and making pads
A clean small plastic container - for hot water
salt
scissors

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
for legs dry poutice-- animalintex then gamagee or orthband from a chemist its cotton wool shaped like a bandaged unrolls like a bandaged-- then bandage with normal horse bandage like a tail bandaged -- then vet wrap

MagicMelon

Visit site
I use plain vetwrap over a poultice, vicijp why not?

To poultice an absess I use a hot poultice (cut a pad of animalintex and put in hot water then put on bottom of hoof / wherever absess is) then wrap on with vetwrap. Then we put on one of those poutlice type boots to keep it in place and clean. We then change it twice a day (morn then night).

Skhosu

Visit site
interesting, having just had a pony diagnosed with a foot abcess, just wondering:
can you turn out with a poultice boot on?
and also, what about vet wrap over poultice on foot?

hope this doesn't count as hijacking!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
My opinion is vetrap is the worse thing ever invented - it is very hard to get right. It should never be put on directly over any tendon/ligament, which is most probably where you are poulticing. Add a wet poultice into the equation, and the subsequent expansion, then tightening can cause a small amount of pressure. Plus the heat that a man made fibre produces against the skin. For 20p's worth of Soffban it just isnt worth the risk.
For the foot I always poultice, then gamgee (just bottom of foot), then soffban, then vetrap. Poultice boots are unecessary if you have some decent tape, just cover the bottom with long strips - it wont come off when you get the hang of it.

Maggie2

Visit site
I am sure I recently spent £1.50 per roll on Sofban, and would have needed the whole roll on the leg I was doing. Are you able to buy it for 20p or is that because you don't use a whole roll at a time?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Oh right, I didnt know you were talking about not using it over tendons etc. (why would you poultice here anyway?!). I ALWAYS use vetwrap over hoof absesses and its perfect! I also always use a poultice boot (just one of those rubbery ones) to turn them out in because I find tape wears through or if its muddy then only the boot works.