Pictures Practically perfect in every way :)

JJS

Visit site
Just a late night musing from a very proud horse owner :)

I had the farrier out on Friday to do my four, and the nice warm glow hasn't left me since. I admit to being slightly apprehensive beforehand, as I had someone new doing their feet as my usual guy is away travelling. The person who came is the younger brother of my farrier, so I knew they were in good hands, but when Mary came to me she was an absolute horror to trim, and it's one of the few things Flower has struggled with too.

Mayflower went first. I explained beforehand that being a baby she sometimes finds balancing difficult, but that she's very eager to please, so as long as she doesn't feel like she's about to topple over she's fine. We'd done so much practising beforehand, with handling her feet, picking them out, and playing around with a rasp, so I was reasonably confident she wouldn't try to snatch her feet away or get upset, but she actually blew me away. She's been better and better with each visit, but this one really took the cake - she was such an old pro. The guy was just lovely with her, and so unbelievably complimentary. He said he'd met very few yearlings who were as polite and well-mannered as her, and that she was an absolute credit to us. He told us so many owners expect farriers to teach youngsters how to behave when they're having their feet done, but you can always tell the people who really put the work in with them. I'm not afraid to admit I felt all warm and fuzzy inside. This baby of mine just continues to surprise me, getting better and better every day. Nothing at all phases her, she's beautifully behaved, and will do absolutely anything you ask. I'm not saying we never have blips, but in the last few weeks, it feels like all of the hard work has started to pay off tenfold, and I'm so excited to see what the future holds for us.

Mary - as expected - was also a star, as were the boys. She's been fantastic for a long time now, but when I watched her standing there, with her eyes closed and her lip drooping, it was hard to believe she was once a wild-eyed four year old who found the whole experience terrifying.

The farrier finished by saying he looked forward to seeing the four of them again, and thanking me for a nice, easy afternoon's work. It's such a small thing, but it really does make all the time and effort seem worthwhile, doesn't it? :)

Gratuitous picture of baby horse out exploring included!

wpcwVdNl.jpg

DD

Visit site
Just a late night musing from a very proud horse owner :)

I had the farrier out on Friday to do my four, and the nice warm glow hasn't left me since. I admit to being slightly apprehensive beforehand, as I had someone new doing their feet as my usual guy is away travelling. The person who came is the younger brother of my farrier, so I knew they were in good hands, but when Mary came to me she was an absolute horror to trim, and it's one of the few things Flower has struggled with too.

Mayflower went first. I explained beforehand that being a baby she sometimes finds balancing difficult, but that she's very eager to please, so as long as she doesn't feel like she's about to topple over she's fine. We'd done so much practising beforehand, with handling her feet, picking them out, and playing around with a rasp, so I was reasonably confident she wouldn't try to snatch her feet away or get upset, but she actually blew me away. She's been better and better with each visit, but this one really took the cake - she was such an old pro. The guy was just lovely with her, and so unbelievably complimentary. He said he'd met very few yearlings who were as polite and well-mannered as her, and that she was an absolute credit to us. He told us so many owners expect farriers to teach youngsters how to behave when they're having their feet done, but you can always tell the people who really put the work in with them. I'm not afraid to admit I felt all warm and fuzzy inside. This baby of mine just continues to surprise me, getting better and better every day. Nothing at all phases her, she's beautifully behaved, and will do absolutely anything you ask. I'm not saying we never have blips, but in the last few weeks, it feels like all of the hard work has started to pay off tenfold, and I'm so excited to see what the future holds for us.

Mary - as expected - was also a star, as were the boys. She's been fantastic for a long time now, but when I watched her standing there, with her eyes closed and her lip drooping, it was hard to believe she was once a wild-eyed four year old who found the whole experience terrifying.

The farrier finished by saying he looked forward to seeing the four of them again, and thanking me for a nice, easy afternoon's work. It's such a small thing, but it really does make all the time and effort seem worthwhile, doesn't it? :)

Gratuitous picture of baby horse out exploring included!

wpcwVdNl.jpg
fabulous

Reactions: JJS

JJS

Visit site
Lovely post. You should be very proud of flower.
Are you back up and riding Mary now?

Yes, Mary has been back in work for a while now. It's been a bit of a stop and start reintroduction due to lots of things going on in my personal life, but no matter whether she's been ridden two days earlier or has gone three weeks in-between, she improves every time you take her out. You can't ask for more than that, can you? :)