Pramox?

Melody Grey

Visit site
We’re hopefully buying a horse for my partner which we have on trial at the moment (the horse, not partner!)
If all goes well we’ll want to introduce the new one to our herd but it hasn’t been wormed recently.

I do use Pramox so am thinking of using this now to cover all eventualities but wondering whether it’s too close to autumn ‘Pramoxing’ - what would you guys do?

Melody Grey

Visit site
We’re hopefully buying a horse for my partner which we have on trial at the moment (the horse, not partner!)
If all goes well we’ll want to introduce the new one to our herd but it hasn’t been wormed recently.

I do use Pramox so am thinking of using this now to cover all eventualities but wondering whether it’s too close to autumn ‘Pramoxing’ - what would you guys do?

ETA- my existing horses are all up to date, so it’s only the new addition I want to worm now.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I never use moxidectin and praziquantel in one wormer, there are too many bad reports about it.

I would use an ivermectin/praziquantel on the new boy and moxidectin alone in winter after a good hard frost.

TPO

Visit site
If you have the option of keeping new horse separately initially I'd do a worm count. Westgate labs have always gotten back within 2 days of posting samples. I've only ever done FEC but might be worth getting the salvia tapeworm test too. Then you know if you need to worm.

If he does have a burden you can do another count after worming and then you'll know if its worked.

Melody Grey

Visit site
If you have the option of keeping new horse separately initially I'd do a worm count. Westgate labs have always gotten back within 2 days of posting samples. I've only ever done FEC but might be worth getting the salvia tapeworm test too. Then you know if you need to worm.

If he does have a burden you can do another count after worming and then you'll know if its worked.
Thanks- this had occurred to me but I thought (perhaps wrongly) that worm counts didn’t capture all species and encysted types so figured I’d need to worm With something.
I will obviously check with the seller, but we suspect the horse hasn’t been wormed for some time.

TPO

Visit site
I'm useless at remembering the intricacies of worming and have to read up on it every time!

I think it depends on the time of year what worms can be detected but you always worm for encysted red at year end/winter/after first frost because they can't be detected. The rest is picked up with FEC and tapeworm test.

Have to admit I've never done a tapeworm test and just worm once a year for them.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Encycsteds won't be much of an issue until spring emergence, my concern is that there is a significant risk of a false negative FEC when you are only doing one. Personally I wouldn't make a decision not to worm based on one FEC for a horse with a poss unknown worming history.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Encycsteds won't be much of an issue until spring emergence, my concern is that there is a significant risk of a false negative FEC when you are only doing one. Personally I wouldn't make a decision not to worm based on one FEC for a horse with a poss unknown worming history.
Thanks, yes- this is why I’m thinking I need to worm the new one, just wasn’t sure of the best way forward!

Reactions: TPO