Prascend

suestowford

Visit site
I just got a new box of this and when I got the bill I had to have a long sit down to get over the shock.
If you've had any lately I'd be interested to know if you've seen the price rocket. I think the amount in my bill is a mistake, and the vets are looking in to this, but any supporting evidence would be really helpful.
Thank you :)

paddy555

Visit site
£1.09 last week at amimed. I think there will be a couple of sites that are a couple of pence less. I think about 3 years ago I paid around 98p so no rocketed that much

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Omfg I just looked at my invoice, I don’t buy a box and hadn’t really realised, I asked for about £50 worth.
I’m paying £1.40 each ?‍♀️

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm paying £1.12/tablet from Viovet. Next time I'm switching to Vet365 (Beeston Animal Health) who are £1.06/tablet - less than that if I bulk buy.

ETA my vets will price match too, though they add the c£25 cost of the 6 monthly prescription to the total. I still prefer buying online and getting it sent out monthly post free.

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
Thanks all. You're all paying a lot less than I have been billed, this is very helpful.

I think, from some of your posts and your name, who are in SD towards Plymouth. I use the Ivybridge vets. They won't price match so not even worth trying. I get a prescription for 6 months charge is around £17.

suestowford

Visit site
Yes, I've always bought it from the vet but it's never been this high in price before.

Paddy, right county but not Plymouth :) It's a different vet, and they seemed as surprised by the price as I was!

Max123

Visit site
Euro 3.40 Ireland per tablet ? Only his 2nd month on it and thankfully a mini so only half tablet per day.

suestowford

Visit site
Mine started on half a tablet per day but is now on a whole one. I fear he may need an increase in dose again this year :(
He has been on it for six years.

meleeka

Visit site
I wonder how they justify why a tablet that costs around £1.10 online is marked up to £2.70 per tablet with a vet practice. That’s £430 a box ? Imagine how many of their clients have this medication alone, let alone all the boxes of bute etc they also sell at a huge mark up?

eggs

Visit site
Not Prascend but my vet charges £4.10 for one of my dog’s heart tablets which I can get for £1.10 on-line and no chance they will price match.

My horse vet advised me to get Prascend on-line as she couldn’t supply it as cheaply.

pistolpete

Visit site
Vets shouldn’t be offended at you choosing to buy online. My vet used to buy his drugs on line. I know I used to fill in his insurance claim!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm afraid so. Any idea where to buy them cheaper without p**sing off the vet?
Whereabouts are you based?

Here (mainland UK, at least) you can legally ask your vet for up to a 6 month repeat prescription for any POMs that your vet prescribes, and they can't refuse to issue it. Then you can buy the meds from whichever supplier you choose.

You will need to pay the vet to issue the prescription, costs vary but typically £15 - £25.

Max123

Visit site
Whereabouts are you based?

Here (mainland UK, at least) you can legally ask your vet for up to a 6 month repeat prescription for any POMs that your vet prescribes, and they can't refuse to issue it. Then you can buy the meds from whichever supplier you choose.

You will need to pay the vet to issue the prescription, costs vary but typically £15 - £25.
I'm in Dublin, Republic of Ireland.

Gamebird

Visit site
I wonder how they justify why a tablet that costs around £1.10 online is marked up to £2.70 per tablet with a vet practice. That’s £430 a box ? Imagine how many of their clients have this medication alone, let alone all the boxes of bute etc they also sell at a huge mark up?

Quite simply because the price that the vets pay to their wholesaler to buy the Prascend in is CONSIDERABLY higher than £1.10 per tablet!