Pre purchase vetting.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
If you were buying a pony mainly for just for hacking, and it had come recommended through the local grape vine, was exactly what you had been searching for for over a year, would you still have a pre purchase vetting, even if that might mean you missd out as there are other people in the viewing queue who would not be interested in a vetting?

Opinions gratefully received - heart says go for it, head says dont take the risk!
confused.gif

Kallibear

Visit site
Yes, I'd still have a 2stage done at the very least. If you're organised you could get the vet out first thing tommorow morning and have it all done by lunchtime.

Divasmum

Visit site
I woulod arrange a vetting asap but wouldn't buy without. Even if you have heard about the pony through the grapevine you still neeed a vet to check its heart, eyes, soundness etc. There are lots of ponies for sale at the moment so if you are supposed to have this one it will happen.

teddyt

Visit site
Depends how knowledgeable you are (at recognising lameness for example) and what the owners were like (knowledgeable/caring/demanding/etc). If you know the pony or who recommended it does. Its about weighing up the risks.
Having said that, nothing is wrong with any of mine as far as i know but it doesnt mean the vet wont find something! I have bought without vetting by weighing up the individual horse.
If the sellers are genuine they shouldnt sell it to someone later in the queue unless they are a more suitable home than you.

almorton

www.greygatessporthorses.co.uk
trust has nothing to do with it im afraid!
what if it has bad cataracts, or a heart problem? or badly fails flexions and will be unable to work within a year?
you cant see that even if you already own it.
however, depends on how much you are paying, and how much you want to insure for as some insurance companys (the better ones ) wont insure without a vet cert.

Skhosu

Visit site
yes, as the 'people waiting who don't want a vetting' is such a common trick to avoid a vetting! It shouldn't mean you lose the pony, ca't see why you would..

Vickey

Visit site
I would always get a vetting, it shows you are serious and will dave you in the long run. Give a deposit to show your intent that is refundable if it doesnt pass the vetting. That way its yours if you want it xc