Prebiotic/Prebiotic

Melody Grey

Visit site
I have also fed pink mash with good results (although there are some who won’t use it on account of it containing soya I think?)
Protexin gut balancer is also good and the ‘kwik fix’ syringes are great too.

There are also lots of supplements aimed at gut balancing for ulcer prone/ recovering horses- what is your reason for wanting one?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I don't want to feed Pink Mash, I can't remember why but there was something about it that made me think it wouldn't work for us.

I want a supplement I can buy in a tub off the Internet anyway because getting big bags of horse food here is a pain in the bum.

I don't want to talk about why if that's ok.? I've spoken to my vet already. I will start a different thread if I want input on that.

Will look at Protexin.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I don't want to feed Pink Mash, I can't remember why but there was something about it that made me think it wouldn't work for us.

I want a supplement I can buy in a tub off the Internet anyway because getting big bags of horse food here is a pain in the bum.

I don't want to talk about why if that's ok.? I've spoken to my vet already. I will start a different thread if I want input on that.

Will look at Protexin.
I asked why because there are more specific ones I can recommend from experience if it’s related to ulcer issues.

GinaGeo

Visit site
I’ve used Equibiome’s Prebiotic supplement with great success.

It always arrives quickly and it always does a good job. I use it around worming and antibiotics for the normal horses and the special one lives on it.

A little goes a long way and I don’t find it too expensive.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I feed yeast. Yeasacc if I can get it bulk, otherwise brewers. If anyone wants to join me in buying some it's £60 for 25kg if you can collect from the corner of Cheshire/ Staffs/ Derbyshire. Feed at 15g a day.

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I feed yeast. Yeasacc if I can get it bulk, otherwise brewers. If anyone wants to join me in buying some it's £60 for 25kg if you can collect from the corner of Cheshire/ Staffs/ Derbyshire. Feed at 15g a day.
Mine just won’t eat it ?ignorant poo heads

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Will they not eat 15g of yea sacc? That's very unusual. It's not uncommon for them to turn their nose up at 50g of brewers yeast because there's more of it and it tastes a lot stronger, having been brewed with.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Cob can suffer with loose droppings especially if having a lot of haylage, he needs to have haylage as has equine asthma, and I've had the most success with Baileys Digest Plus.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Will they not eat 15g of yea sacc? That's very unusual. It's not uncommon for them to turn their nose up at 50g of brewers yeast because there's more of it and it tastes a lot stronger, having been brewed with.
I’ve never tried yea sacc actually, brewers yeast, they just won’t touch

PurBee

Visit site
I’ve never tried yea sacc actually, brewers yeast, they just won’t touch

i guess brewers yeast taste is stong - much like marmite, so it doesnt surprise me some horses wont touch it!
I’ve tried it, its foul! But i do love marmite!

yea sacc is contained in a lot of pellet and powder mineral supplements now so mine eat that fine as the taste is disguised among the other minerals.

i like protexin, as it works so well for all sorts of gut imbalance, stores well for months in the tub provided - and although there’s alfalfa in it, as a powdered carrier for the probiotic, i havent found it cause loopiness in my hot/warm blood horses, as its such a tiny amount fed. When mixed into beet, they dont know its in there.

onemoretime

Visit site

Will look at Protexin.

Have a look at Equinox. I feed the original and have done for over 3 years now. My mare looks and feels terrific on it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yeasacc much easier to get in them than Brewers Yeast, the quantities are small. My fussy one eats it.
Oh ok, I may try that then. The alfalfa issue I have is/was feet related rather than it sending them loopy, I never found that but after treating a nasty case of laminitis the tiniest amount of anything I now consider slightly iffy doesn’t sit well with me.